Our Taco Bake Casserole is a deliciously easy take on your favorite taco flavors. This casserole layers seasoned beef, onions, and cheese between soft tortillas, all baked to a bubbly, cheesy delight. Ready in under 30 minutes, this taco casserole is quick to prepare and perfect for any night; it’s a sure hit for both kids and adults alike.
Table of Contents
What is a Taco Bake?
Our Taco Bake Casserole is a real crowd-pleaser and there are a few yummy reasons why it’s a staple at our table. The layers of seasoned beef, gooey cheese, and tortillas come together in a way that’s just so comforting and familiar. It’s the kind of dish that brings smiles around the dinner table, reminding us of fun taco nights but with a twist that makes it extra special.
It’s a lifesaver on busy weeknights, requiring minimal prep and cooking time. It’s my go-to recipe because it’s just so easy to throw together. It’s the perfect solution for when you want a homemade dinner that feels like you’ve put in a lot of effort, but really, it’s just a few simple steps.
Also, the versatility of this casserole makes it a consistent hit. It allows you to tailor it to your family’s tastes with various toppings and sides. Whether it’s adding a dollop of sour cream, a sprinkle of fresh cilantro, or a side of crispy tortilla chips, each serving can be personalized, making it a meal that everyone looks forward to.
Why We Love Taco Bake Casserole
- It’s a comforting twist on classic tacos, baked into a cheesy, layered casserole.
- Super easy to prepare, perfect for quick weeknight dinners.
- Highly customizable with your favorite taco toppings.
- A family-friendly meal that’s sure to please everyone.
- Ideal for meal prep, as it reheats beautifully for leftovers.
Easy Taco Bake Ingredients
- Ground beef (or ground turkey)
- Yellow onion
- Softshell flour tortillas
- Taco seasoning mix
- Cheddar cheese
- Sliced black olives
How to make Taco Casserole with Tortillas
- Brown ground beef until no longer pink and onions until tender.
- Stir a package of taco seasoning mix (or try our Homemade Taco Seasoning) along with the amount of water indicated on the package directions. Cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Add in the Rotel, olives, and corn. Mix in with the beef mixture and let simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Spray the bottom of a 9×13 dish with nonstick spray (I like to use a glass pan for this recipe.)
- Place tortillas on the bottom of the dish. Spread half of the meat mixture evenly over the tortillas.
- Sprinkle one cup of cheese over the meat layer. Then add another layer of tortillas, the rest of the meat on top of the tortillas, and the last cup of cheese on top of the meat.
- Bake at 350 degrees until cheese is melted and bubbly, about 20 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream, lettuce, tomato, pico de gallo, guacamole and any other ingredients you might serve with tacos!
What to serve with this Taco Bake Recipe
The sky is the limit for toppings you can put on your finished taco bake! You can add any kind of topping that you might use on a taco or taco salad. Below you’ll find a list of things that I like to add to my taco bake. Feel free to use these as ideas or create your own list!
- Pico de gallo
- Sour cream
- Refried beans
- Shredded lettuce
- Fresh diced tomatoes
- Green onion
- Our Homemade Salsa or hot sauce
- Extra shredded cheddar or pepper jack cheese
- Fresh guacamole (Homemade!)
- Black Beans
- Tortilla chips
I also love to serve Mexican-style rice or corn chips and salsa as a side with my taco bake to round off the meal.
I will say, this recipe is quite filling, so if you don’t have the time or energy to put into making a side dish, no worries! This dish alone will be enough to feed the family.
How To Store and Reheat Taco Bake Casserole
Store: Cool to room temperature, cover, and refrigerate for up to 3-4 days.
Oven Reheat: Preheat to 350°F, heat uncovered for 15-20 minutes.
Microwave Reheat: Place a serving on a plate, cover, and microwave for 1-2 minutes.
Taco Bake Casserole FAQs
Most ingredients are gluten-free except the tortillas – be sure to use a corn tortilla and check the label to ensure they are gluten-free.
Let the taco casserole cool down, then wrap tightly in foil or plastic wrap.
Label with the date and freeze for up to 2-3 months.
To reheat, thaw in the fridge overnight and then bake at 350°F until warm, about 20-30 minutes.
Yes, you can assemble it ahead and refrigerate; just add a few extra minutes to the baking time when ready to cook.
Yes, you can substitute ground beef with ground turkey, chicken, or even a meatless alternative.
More Great Taco Recipes
- Easy Taco Ring Recipe
- Walking Taco Bar
- Warm and Cheesy Taco Dip
- Nacho Cheese Dip
- Taco Braid
- Taco Lasagna
- Crockpot Taco Spaghetti
If you tried this Taco Bake Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below. Thanks for visiting!!!
Taco Bake Recipe
- 1.5 pounds ground beef
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 package package taco seasoning mix plus the water indicated on the package
- 1 10 ounce can Rotel not drained
- 1 2.25 ounce can sliced black olives
- 1 15 ounce can of corn drained
- 4 taco size flour tortillas
- 2 cups cheddar cheese divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the ground beef in a skillet along with the onions and cook until beef is browned and onions are tender.1.5 pounds ground beef, 1 chopped onion
- Stir in the package of taco seasoning along with the amount of water indicated on the package directions. Cook for 8-10 minutes.1 package package taco seasoning mix
- Mix in the Rotel, olives and corn in with the beef. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.1 10 ounce can Rotel, 1 2.25 ounce can sliced black olives, 1 15 ounce can of corn
- Spray the bottom of a 9×13 dish with nonstick spray. Place tortillas on the bottom of the dish.4 taco size flour tortillas
- Spread half of the meat mixture evenly over the tortillas. Next, sprinkle one cup of cheese over the meat layer. Then add another layer of tortillas, the rest of the meat on top of the tortillas and the last cup of cheese on top of the meat.2 cups cheddar cheese
- Bake at 350 degrees until bubbly, about 20 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream and other taco toppings as desired
Oven Reheat: Preheat to 350°F, heat uncovered for 15-20 minutes.
Microwave Reheat: Place a serving on a plate, cover it, and microwave it for 1-2 minutes.
This taco bake recipe is one of my go-to dinner recipes when we need something quick and easy that everyone will love. It also makes for a great dish to pass at a neighborhood get together or any type of potluck! It’s delicious, simple, and each person can top it off to their liking! I know your family will fall in love with it, just like mine!