Our easy Walking Tacos will be your new favorite way to feed a crowd! What is a walking taco? It’s all of your favorite taco ingredients piled into a bag of chips (we love Doritos or Fritos!) Soon to become one of your favorite weeknight meals!
The best part is the clean up – I thought paper plates were easy to clean up – but believe me, this one is even easier!
Walking Tacos (Tacos in a Bag!)
When we entertain, we typically have a rather large crowd. Lately, we have gotten tired of ordering pizza and salads.
Since we started making the Walking Taco Bar, it has become a family and friends favorite. Everyone can put exactly what they want in the bag and the best part for me is the cleanup!
What is are Walking Tacos?
A walking taco is a deconstructed taco in a bag of chips.
It is like a taco married a taco salad and had a taco baby! It is great because you don’t have to worry about individualized dietary needs because everyone creates their own walking taco!
One of the best things about serving the walking taco bar for a party or barbecue is that I put everything in disposable bowls and use plastic forks and with the chip bags acting as plates, there is virtually no cleanup!
This is really a great recipe for an outdoor summer party or a potluck. It is easy and quick and you can prepare the majority of it before anyone arrives. That way, you can actually enjoy the party, rather than being stuck behind the grill making burgers.
As I said, it is also great for people with different dietary needs. As I mentioned, everyone can put exactly what they want in their bag!
Then if you are looking for a great dessert to serve after dinner – check out my Ice Cream Sandwich Cake. This cake is my biggest crowd pleaser ever. My kids beg for it!
- Lunch or snack size Doritos, Fritos, tortilla chip or your favorite chips. (I am low carb, so I love these (affiliate) Quest Chips for my taco! They are packed with protein)
- Ground beef, ground chicken or Ground Turkey (if you are having vegetarians, consider a veggie crumble)
- Taco seasoning
- Green pepper
- Red pepper
- Our Homemade Salsa
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheese
- Spanish rice
- Queso Dip
How to Assemble Walking Tacos
Making a walking taco bar may be one of the easiest meals you have ever made.
- Brown the meat of your choice and season with your favorite taco seasoning (or try our homemade taco seasoning)
- Put each taco ingredient in their own bowl.
- Grab a bunch of lunch size or snack size bags of Doritos, Fritos or tortilla chips and put them in a big basket!
- Cut the top off of the chip bag.
- Let your guests go at it!
PRO-TIP: when you brown your meat, use a potato masher to break up the meat! It works like a charm!
Substitutions & Add-Ins
Beef – Ground beef, turkey, chicken or even thinly sliced steak.
Cheese – We usually use a Mexican Cheese Blend, but Colby Jack or cheddar works great too!
Vegetarian – Lot’s of options. You can try meatless crumbles or just go all beans!
Gluten Free – Try some gluten-free chips or skip the chips all together!
Other Toppings – Try grilled corn on top! It adds a delicious crunch and a little bit of sweetness to the mix. Trust me on this one! We also love a sliced avocado because avocado is pretty much delicious on everything!
Walking Taco Bar
- 1 pound Ground beef or Turkey
- 1 package Taco Seasoning (The Doritos have a lot of seasoning so cut the amount of seasoning in half to avoid over seasoning)
- 4 1.75 Bags Large single serving bags of Doritos
- 1 Tomato
- 1 Green pepper
- 3 cups Lettuce shredded
- 1 jar Salsa
- 8 ounces Sour Cream
- 1 package Shredded Cheese
- 1 box Spanish rice
- Prepare the ground meat according to the directions on the taco seasoning package (use only about 1/2 of the seasoning packet), cook rice and cut all of the vegetables.
- Cut the bag along the side, rather than opening at the top.
- Add the ingredients of your choice.
- Grab a fork. Dig in. Enjoy!
Now we just need portable side dishes! Looking for some other easy meals? Then click on the pictures below!
Originally posted May 2015
Sign up for the Princess Pinky Girl Newsletter and automatically receive our latest & greatest delivered right to your inbox! Follow Princess Pinky Girl on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the newest recipes, crafts, travels and updates!
If you make a Princess Pinky Girl creation make sure you take a picture and share it on Instagram with @princesspinkygirl ! I love seeing your masterpieces!