This is the most authentic Butterbeer Recipe ever! With only 7-ingredients, you can make it from home and get that same great taste as the Frozen Butterbeer from Universal Studios Wizarding World of Harry Potter and this no cook recipe is so easy to make!
Table of Contents
- The Best Butterbeer Recipe Ever!
- What is Butter Beer?
- Why we love this frozen Butterbeer
- What is Butter Beer made of?
- Butter Beer Recipe substitutions and additions
- How to make Butterbeer
- How to serve Harry Potter Butterbeer
- Butterbeer Harry Potter FAQs
- Other Easy Harry Potter Recipes
- Best Butter Beer Recipe Recipe
The Best Butterbeer Recipe Ever!
If you have been to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter theme parks at Universal Orlando, then chances are you have tried the Butterbeer!
Universal’s Harry Potter theme park has the one and only JK Rowling approved recipe for a regular version with its delicious foamy topping, a hot butterbeer that is perfect for a cold winter day, but our favorite version was the frozen butterbeer. It was beyond amazing.
After we came home we decided we needed to be able to make butterbeer at home. So after many tries, we have created the perfect homemade butterbeer recipe! Ready to have a frozen butterbeer any time you want it from the comfort of your home? Wizards, witches and even muggles, we have you covered!
This is the perfect addition to your next Halloween party or Harry Potter birthday party!
What is Butter Beer?
Butterbeer was a beverage from the popular Harry Potter series. It was described as tasting a little bit like butterscotch. It was served in the Harry Potter books at the Three Broomsticks in Hogsmeade.
Why we love this frozen Butterbeer
- A great copycat version of Universal’s Butterbeer recipe but you don’t need to travel to The Three Broomsticks to enjoy it!
- The perfect recipe for Harry Potter-themed parties or Halloween parties.
- A kid-safe recipe that you can enjoy at home.
- Easy to make – no-cook recipe. Ready in 10 minutes.
What is Butter Beer made of?
- vanilla ice cream (splurge and use the full-fat version!!)
- 2 cans of cream soda (1 will be used to make 2 cups of cream soda ice cubes.)
- imitation butter extract
- rum extract
- butterscotch syrup or butterscotch ice cream topping
- whipped topping (try our homemade whipped cream recipe!)
Butter Beer Recipe substitutions and additions
How to make an alcoholic version of Butterbeer?
While our version is totally alcohol-free, I wouldn’t be opposed to adding a little butterscotch schnapps or salted caramel vodka! Just add a little in and blend it up with the rest of the ingredients!
What can I substitute for rum extract?
If you don’t have rum extract, you can use vanilla in its place. You could also substitute a brown liquor like an actual dark rum (don’t worry, you only use a tiny bit). Just swap it for the same amount as in the recipe.
How to make Butterbeer
There are tons of recipes out there to make Butterbeer, but none are as easy as this one! Grab your chocolate frogs and get ready for the best frozen butterbeer for your next Harry Potter themed party or just to enjoy with the family!
- Freeze the soda: The only thing you really need to do to prep is freezing your cream soda into ice cubes for a few hours before you are ready to make this. Just pour a cup of cream soda into your ice cube trays and freeze until frozen (about 3-4 hours).
- Blend: Using a blender, take about 2 cups of the cream soda ice cubes, ice cream, imitation butter extract, rum extract, 1 cup of cream soda, butterscotch topping, salt and blend until smooth!
- Add Toppings: Pour into your favorite mug (we like to use a frosted mug) top with whipped cream and drizzle with butterscotch topping and enjoy!
Planning a trip to Universal Orlando? Then be sure to check out my Tips for Visiting Universal Orlando and Tips for Visiting Universal Orlando During the Holidays! You won’t want to go without reading these first!
How to serve Harry Potter Butterbeer
Pour the Butterbeer into glasses or mugs and serve it chilled or at room temperature. For an authentic touch, you can also top it with a dollop of whipped cream and sprinkle some butterscotch or caramel sauce on top.
Butterbeer Harry Potter FAQs
Our butterbeer recipe is made of vanilla ice cream, cream soda, imitation butter extract, rum extract, butterscotch topping, salt, and whipped cream
In J.K. Rollings Harry Potter books, it is said that butterbeer contains the slightest bit of alcohol, but we decided to make it without any alcohol so the kids could enjoy it!
If you have read or watched any of the Harry Potter books or movies you will know that butterbeer has a sweet butterscotch taste with a frothy topping, but doesn’t actually contain or taste like beer. It is a sweet treat more like a milkshake.
You can find butterbeer in the following locations at Universal Studios Florida:
The Three Broomsticks (in Hogsmeade
The Leaky Cauldron (in Diagon Alley)
The Hog’s Head Pub (Hogsmeade)
The Fountain of Fair Fortune (Diagon Alley)
The Hopping Pot (Diagon Alley)
Street carts (Hogsmeade)
Other Easy Harry Potter Recipes
- Butterbeer Jell-O Shots
- Harry Potter Butterbeer Fudge
- Harry Potter Butterbeer Ice Cream
- Hot Harry Potter Butterbeer
- Alcoholic Butterbeer
Best Butter Beer Recipe
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream splurge and use the full fat version!!
- 2 cups cream soda ice cubes see below on how to make them
- 2 teaspoons imitation butter extract
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 4 tablespoons butterscotch topping
- 1 cup cream soda
- 1 pinch of salt
- Whipped cream
- Pour one can of cream soda into ice cube trays and freeze at least 4 hours
- Once the cream soda is frozen, measure 2 cups of cream soda ice cubes and place in blender
- Add in ice cream, imitation butter extract, rum extract, 1 cup of cream soda, butterscotch topping, salt and blend until smooth
- Pour into your favorite frosted mug
- Add whipped cream and drizzle with butterscotch topping
Originally posted December 1, 2014