Our Dorito Casserole makes an amazing addition to your weeknight dinner menu! Layered with ground beef, corn, cheese (and more!) and seasoned with savory taco spices! Then topped off with layers of crushed Dorito chips!
A nice change from traditional Taco Tuesday!
If you are looking for a new easy dinner recipe that your kids will not only eat, but they will be for, this Dorito Casserole is the one!
My kids always love our taco casserole, but sometimes we like to change it up and add a little crunch to it! While I don’t usually opt for chips for dinner, this casserole is a winner! It is easy to make and I can almost guarantee there will be no one complaining when you serve it up! They just may be complaining that there are no leftovers!
Ingredients (shopping list!):
- Ground beef
- Yellow onion
- Minced garlic
- Taco seasoning (or your favorite taco seasoning packet)
- Frozen corn
- Can of petite diced tomatoes with green chilies
- Sour cream
- 9 ¾ ounce bag Doritos chips (Nacho flavor)
- Monterey jack cheese
Optional: Sliced green onions, diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, avocado, sour cream for garnish (optional)
How to Make Dorito Casserole
COOK: Beef, onions, garlic corn in a large skillet. Add seasoning, tomatoes and some chips. Stir in sour cream & cheese.
LAYER: Chips, 1/2 meat mixture, 1/2 cheese.
REPEAT: Do it again!
TOP: With Doritos and cheese.
BAKE: On 350 degrees for 45 Minutes.
Enjoy with your favorite toppings!
(For the Dorito Casserole recipe and step-by-step details, see the printable recipe card below)
MEAT: While we prefer lean ground beef, we have made this casserole with ground turkey and ground chicken, as well! Whichever you choose, the flavor is amazing!
BEANS: We love to add beans to the mix as well! Black beans, pinto beans and even refried beans are delicious!
Veggies: Don’t be afraid to add in some vegetables! Green peppers, red peppers or even some jalapenos if you want to turn up the heat a little bit!
Doritos: We used Nacho flavor Doritos, but I have been known to change it up with some Cool Ranch Doritos and Sweet Chili Doritos (my favorite flavor).
Ohhhh! Another thing that I love about this recipe is that I can make it during the day, throw it in the fridge and then throw it in the oven right before I am ready to serve dinner!
You can also make a few at once, put them in a freezer dish (or I love these foil pans) and pull it out when you are ready to make it! I love freezer meal prep! This one will keep in the freezer for up to two months.
When you are ready to cook it, I recommend putting it in the refrigerator the night before to thaw it out. I also sometimes leave the final layer of cheese and chips off and put those on when I am ready to bake it.
MORE CASSEROLE RECIPES
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 Yellow onion (diced)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning (or your favorite taco seasoning packet)
- ½ cup frozen corn
- 1 14.5 ounce can petite diced tomatoes with green chilies (drained)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 9 ¾ ounce bag Doritos chips (Nacho flavor)
- 2 cups Monterey jack cheese (shredded, divided)
- Sliced green onions (diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, avocado, sour cream for garnish (optional))
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 9x13 dish with nonstick spray.
- Gently crush the chips until you have 4 cups of fairly large, bite size pieces. Set aside.
- With the remaining chips use a rolling pin and crush the chips to a fine crumb and set aside.
- In a large skillet brown the ground beef and onions. Drain any extra grease.
- Add the garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add the frozen corn, taco seasoning, drained tomatoes and finely crushed leftover chips and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in the sour cream and ½ cup of cheese.
- Spread 1 ½ cups of the lightly crushed Doritos in the bottom of the pan.
- Next place half of the meat mixture over the Doritos spooning large spoonfuls around and then spread.
- Sprinkle ½ cup of cheese over the meat.
- Sprinkle another 1 ½ cups of Doritos over casserole.
- Place the remaining meat on top.
- Sprinkle the final remaining Doritos on top and sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese on top of the Doritos.
- Spray a piece of foil with nonstick spray (or use nonstick foil). Cover the casserole and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for 10-15 minutes more or until the cheese has melted and browned.
- Remove from oven and serve.
- Top with your favorite toppings!
Nutrition per serving
Sign up for the Princess Pinky Girl Newsletter and automatically receive our latest & greatest delivered right to your inbox! Follow Princess Pinky Girl on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the newest recipes, crafts, travels and updates!
If you make a Princess Pinky Girl creation make sure you take a picture and share it on Instagram with @princesspinkygirl ! I love seeing your masterpieces!