Our Cherry Dump Cake Recipe may be the easiest dessert recipe you will ever make! 5 ingredients, 5 minutes to prep starting with a box of cake mix and can of cherry pie filling. One dish and ready start to finish in less than an hour!
Table of Contents
- What is a Dump Cake?
- Cherry Dump Cake Ingredients
- How to Make Cherry Dump Cake
- Storage Instructions
- More Dump Cake Combinations
- How do you know when a dump cake is done baking?
- Can you make a dump cake ahead of time?
- Can you make Cherry Dump Cake in the Crockpot?
- What’s the difference between a dump cake and a cobbler?
- More Easy Cake Recipes
- Cherry Dump Cake Recipe
What is a Dump Cake?
The dump cake recipe gets its name because we are literally just dumping all of the ingredients into the baking dish and baking it!
When it is done, it’s kind of like a cobbler. It’s got cherry pie filling on the bottom, yellow cake mix throughout, and slivered almonds on top!
It’s an amazing cake that fits any occasion, backyard barbecues, birthday parties, bake sales, etc. The best is that you can change up the cake mix flavor and filling flavor for endless combinations.
Cherry Dump Cake Ingredients
- 2 cans (21oz) cherry pie filling (you can use any type of fruit filling)
- 1 tsp vanilla (you can mix vanilla and almond extract for a super-rich taste)
- 1 box of yellow cake mix (use the dry cake mix, do not prepare it)
- 1 stick of melted butter
- 1 small package (2.25oz) of sliced almonds
- Optional: a scoop of vanilla ice cream to top each piece
- Optional: Whipped cream
SEE FULL PRINTABLE RECIPE CARD BELOW
How to Make Cherry Dump Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray your baking dish with cooking spray.
- Dump the cherry pie filling and vanilla into the baking dish (mix together in a bowl first).
- Sprinkle the cake mix over the cherry pie filling. (use only the dry cake mix)
- Pour melted butter over the cake mix and sprinkle with the sliced almonds
- Bake until the topping is golden brown and bubbly, about 50 minutes.
- Serve Warm.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can reheat the dump cake in the microwave.
More Dump Cake Combinations
There are endless possibilities when it comes to dump cake recipes. All you need to do is swap out the cake mix and the filling. Check out some of our other favorites flavor combinations:
How do you know when a dump cake is done baking?
Sorry, but the toothpick method doesn’t work here. You really want to look for the top of the cake to turn golden brown and the fruit to bubble along the sides of the casserole dish.
Can you make a dump cake ahead of time?
Short answer, yes, you can make your dump cake ahead of time and reheat it. In my opinion, it is always best fresh out of the oven.
Can you make Cherry Dump Cake in the Crockpot?
Yes, you can make a dump cake in the crockpot and it is just as easy!
First, make sure you grease the slow cooker dish and then follow the recipe exactly the same! Just cover and cook on low for 4 hours or high for 2 hours!
What’s the difference between a dump cake and a cobbler?
They’re fairly similar, but a dump cake is prepared with cake mix, whereas a cobbler uses a pie crust topping or a biscuit topping. You typically will find a fruit filling layer in both.
More Easy Cake Recipes
- Eclair Cake
- Jello Poke Cake
- No-Bake Banana Split Cake
- Lemon Icebox Cake
- 7-UP Cake
- Pineapple Upside Down Dump Cake
Cherry Dump Cake
- 2 21 ounce cans cherry pie filling
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 stick butter melted
- 1 2.25 ounce package sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray
- In a medium bowl mix both cans of cherry pie filling together with the vanilla and pour in to the 9×13 baking dish. Use a spatula to make sure the entire dish is covered in an even layer
- Pour yellow cake mix over evenly over the top of the cherries.
- Pour melted butter evenly over the top of the yellow cake mix. Do not stir
- Spread almonds evenly over the top.
- Bake 50 minutes, until the top is golden brown.
- Serve warm with ice cream or whipped topping
I hope that you and your family like this easy cherry dump cake as much as my family and I do! With all 5 ingredients having a long shelf life- there’s no reason it shouldn’t be in your normal rotation of easy dessert recipes!