Blueberry Dump Cake is a quick and easy dessert that requires only four ingredients and minimal effort. With a layer of blueberry pie filling topped with yellow cake mix and melted butter, this sweet and delicious dessert is perfect for anyone in a hurry but still craving something sweet.
Table of Contents
- What is a Dump Cake?
- Blueberry Dump Cake Ingredients
- Ingredient Substitutions & Options
- How to Make Blueberry Dump Cake
- How to Make Dump Cake in the Crock-Pot or Slow Cooker:
- Tips for the Best Blueberry Dump Cake!
- What to Serve with Blueberry Dump Cake
- Frequently Asked Questions
- How to Store Dump Cake
- Blueberry Dump Cake Recipe
What is a Dump Cake?
A dump cake is a dessert made by layering fruit filling and cake mix in a baking dish and then topping it with melted butter.
The name comes from the simple preparation method of “dumping” the ingredients into the baking dish, making it a quick and easy dessert to make.
The result is a sweet and delicious dessert with a crunchy topping and a fruity filling, and it can be made with various types of fruit and cake mix flavors.
The name “dump cake” comes from the fact that you quite literally dump all of the ingredients together and bake your dessert. Yep, it’s really that easy!
Blueberry Dump Cake Ingredients
- Blueberry pie filling
- Shredded coconut
- Yellow cake mix
- Melted butter
Ingredient Substitutions & Options
- Pie filling: You can use any kind of pie filling in this cake! There are so many options. Cherry, apple, strawberry, cherry… the list goes on! Although I have to say, my favorite is definitely the classic blueberry.
- Cake mix: You can also switch up your cake mix flavor. There are loads of options for boxed cake mix out there. This can be fun to pair up with different filling flavors as well. You could try doing a devil’s food or dark chocolate cake mix with cherry pie filling. Another popular option would be to do a white cake mix with apple pie filling.
- Add Some Crunch: Sprinkle chopped nuts such as pecans or walnuts over the cake mix before pouring the melted butter on top.
- For an extra burst of flavor, add a pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg to the cake mix.
There are so many options when you start to change up both your filling and cake mix!
How to Make Blueberry Dump Cake
- POUR blueberry pie filling into the baking dish and spread it out evenly. (Sprinkle coconut on top of filling)
- DUMP cake mix evenly over the pie filling in the pan.
- POUR the melted butter evenly over the top of the cake mix. Do not stir.
- BAKE at 350 for about 50 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
How to Make Dump Cake in the Crock-Pot or Slow Cooker:
Remember that you can make your dump cake in a crockpot as well.
- To make your dump cake in the crockpot, you’ll want to start out by using a non-stick spray or putting down a crockpot liner. You’ll be pouring all of the ingredients straight into the crockpot! No need to mix them up beforehand.
- Next, pour in the two cans of blueberry pie filling. Then, sprinkle the cake mix over top of the pie filling. Then, drizzle the melted butter evenly on the top.
- Finally, simply cook this on low for about 2 hours.
I love making this recipe in the crockpot when I will be bringing it to a gathering or get together! That way, I can just plug it in and keep it warm when I arrive at the party.
Tips for the Best Blueberry Dump Cake!
- Use a 9×13-inch baking dish for best results.
- Fight the urge to mix! I know this seems silly, but it’s harder than you might think. This cake will honestly turn out the best by just dumping all of your ingredients together. You really do not need to (nor should you) mix it up!
- Whether you’re cooking this in a pan in the oven or in the slow cooker, it’s super important that you remember to spray the pan or use a liner in your crockpot. Trust me when I say, you do not want to deal with pie filling being stuck like glue to your favorite pan or crockpot bowl!
What to Serve with Blueberry Dump Cake
The obvious answer is ice cream! This dessert only gets better when it’s served nice and hot with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream. You could also top this off with whipped cream, cool whip, or just some fresh berries.
How to Store Dump Cake
In my opinion, this is one dessert that is much better served warm and fresh! But, if you have leftovers it is very easy to store in a Tupperware in the fridge, and to heat up when you want a little snack!
More Delicious Dump Cake Recipes
Blueberry Dump Cake
- 42 ounce (2 21-ounce) cans blueberry pie filling
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- 15.25 ounce box yellow cake mix
- ¾ cup melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Pour the blueberry pie filling into the baking dish and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle shredded coconut on top of pie filling.
- Dump the cake mix evenly over the coconut.
- Pour the melted butter evenly over the top of the cake mix. Do not stir.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until the top is golden brown
- Serve warm.
- When buying the cake mix, it is best to pick one that doesn’t have pudding mix in it; check the label to make sure.
- You’ll want to use a 9×13-inch cake pan so that the texture and consistency are right. I’ve used an 11x 7-inch pan before, and it turned out a little too thick, which changed the delicious texture of the dump cake.
- Because dump cakes are so gooey and moist, it can be hard to determine if they’re done. It’s normal to see some wet spots and some spots that are more crisp and done.
This is definitely one of the easiest dessert recipes that you will ever come across! Everything from the ingredients list, to the instructions, are easy, easy, easy! But, the best part is that just because it’s easy doesn’t mean that it’s not delicious. This is one of my family’s all-time favorites
easy ingredients and recipe, I can’t wait to try it!