Table of Contents
Our Blueberry Dump Cake is as easy as it gets. It only has four ingredients (including canned blueberry pie filling and boxed cake mix)! Then, just as the name suggests, you dump them all together, and bake! In no time, you have a delicious blueberry dessert.
Blueberry Dump Cake
Dump cakes, although lacking in the name department, are as easy and delicious as it gets for a warm and hearty dessert. They are so versatile and compliment any meal as the perfect finale!
What is a Dump Cake?
The name “dump cake” comes from the fact that you quite literally dump all of the ingredients together and bake your dessert. Yep, it’s really that easy!
Beyond how simple they are to make, the beauty of dump cakes is in their versatility. This blueberry dump cake recipe is one of my absolute favorites, but you could definitely switch it up. You can change your fruit filling, the cake flavor, or both! So, really this recipe is many recipes all in one.
I’ve seen people use a chocolate cake mix with the cherry filling, or a yellow cake mix with apple filling, or strawberry filling. The sky’s the limit! You can custom make this to your liking. Some other possible fruit fillings include pineapple, strawberry, and so many more!
Another luxury to a dump cake recipe is that they can also be made in the crockpot. To do so, you will follow the instructions below and instead of pouring all of the ingredients into a pan, you will pour them into the crockpot. Then, simply cook on low for about 2 hours, the easiest recipe ever, gets even easier!
- Blueberry pie filling
- Shredded coconut
- Yellow cake mix
- Melted butter
Ingredient Substitutions & Options
Pie filling: You can use any kind of pie filling in this cake! There are so many options. Cherry, apple, strawberry, cherry… the list goes on! Although I have to say, my favorite is definitely the classic blueberry.
Cake mix: You can also switch up your cake mix flavor. There are loads of options for boxed cake mix out there. This can be fun to pair up with different filling flavors as well.
You could try doing a devil’s food or dark chocolate cake mix with cherry pie filling. Another popular option would be to do a white cake mix with apple pie filling.
There are so many options when you start to change up both your filling and cake mix!
How to Make Blueberry Dump Cake
- POUR blueberry pie filling into the baking dish and spread it out evenly. (Sprinkle coconut on top of filling)
- DUMP cake mix evenly over the pie filling in the pan.
- POUR the melted butter evenly over the top of the cake mix. Do not stir.
- BAKE at 350 for about 50 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
(For the detailed Blueberry Dump Cake recipe and step-by-step details, see the printable recipe card below)
How to Make Dump Cake in the Crock-Pot:
Remember that you can make your dump cake in a crockpot as well.
- To make your dump cake in the crockpot, you’ll want to start out by using a non-stick spray or putting down a crockpot liner. You’ll be pouring all of the ingredients straight into the crockpot! No need to mix them up beforehand.
- Next, pour in the two cans of blueberry pie filling. Then, sprinkle the cake mix over top of the pie filling. Then, drizzle the melted butter evenly on the top.
- Finally, simply cook this on low for about 2 hours.
I love making this recipe in the crockpot when I will be bringing it to a gathering or get together! That way, I can just plug it in and keep it warm when I arrive at the party.
Tip 1: Fight the urge to mix! I know this seems silly, but it’s harder than you might think. This cake will honestly turn out the best by just dumping all of your ingredients together. You really do not need to (nor should you) mix it up!
Tip 2: Whether you’re cooking this in a pan in the oven or in the slow cooker, it’s super important that you remember to spray the pan or use a liner in your crockpot. Trust me when I say, you do not want to deal with pie filling being stuck like glue to your favorite pan or crockpot bowl!
What to Serve with Blueberry Dump Cake
The obvious answer is ice cream! This dessert only gets better when it’s served nice and hot with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream. You could also top this off with whipped cream, cool whip, or just some fresh berries.
How to Store Dump Cake
In my opinion, this is one dessert that is much better served warm and fresh! But, if you have leftovers it is very easy to store in a Tupperware in the fridge, and to heat up when you want a little snack!
Blueberry Dump Cake
- 2 21-ounce cans blueberry pie filling
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- ¾ cup melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9x13 baking sit with cooking spray.
- Pour blueberry pie filling into baking dish and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle shredded coconut on top of pie filling
- Dump cake mix evenly over the pie filling
- Pour melted butter evenly over the top of the cake mix. Do not stir
- Bake at 350 for 50 minutes or until the top is golden brown
- Serve warm.
- Serving options include sprinkling with more shredded coconut or topping with ice cream.
This is definitely one of the easiest dessert recipes that you will ever come across! Everything from the ingredients list, to the instructions, are easy, easy, easy! But, the best part is that just because it’s easy doesn’t mean that it’s not delicious. This is one of my family’s all-time favorites