Our creamy garlic parmesan chicken is the ultimate comfort dish that’s full of delicious flavor! From the perfectly lightly breaded, juicy, chicken breasts to the creamy parmesan and garlic sauce, this skillet chicken dish is so good and ready in just about 30 minutes!.
Table of Contents
Creamy Garlic Parmesan Chicken
You can never have enough chicken recipes, right? That’s how I feel. Chicken is something we always tend to have on hand. I love to stock up when it’s on sale and put some in the freezer. Then, when I’m not sure what to make for dinner, I’ll pull a package out and pick from one of my many chicken recipes!
This garlic parmesan chicken is definitely a favorite of mine (and my family). It is the ultimate creamy, hearty, comfort food chicken dish. It’s a fabulous option for a family dinner.
Why We Love This Creamy Chicken Recipe
- A hearty and filling dish
- A creamy, flavorful way to make chicken
- Dinner ready in just about 30 minutes
- Can be served over a variety of sides (we love pasta, rice or mashed potatoes)
- Chicken breasts
- All-purpose flour
- Parmesan cheese
- Garlic salt
- Ground black pepper
- Olive oil
- Salted butter
- Small onion
- Minced garlic
- Chicken broth
- Heavy cream
How to Make the Creamy Garlic Parmesan Chicken
Combine flour, parmesan cheese, garlic salt, and ground black pepper and dredge chicken in the flour mixture.
Pro-Tip: It’s important to pound down the thicker parts of your chicken breasts with a meat mallet. This will ensure even cooking and browning.
Cook chicken 5-6 minutes on each side until evenly browned. Flip each breast over and continue to brown on the other side.
Cook until no longer pink, then remove chicken to a plate and set aside.
Pro-Tip: You want your chicken really browned for this recipe. It is better to cook on a higher heat and sear the chicken on both sides. Since you are using a meat mallet to pound down the chicken so it is the same size throughout it should cook evenly and quickly.
Add onions to the remaining juices and oil in the pan.
Cook for 5 minutes stirring often.
Add minced garlic to the pan and allow to cook, stirring often.
Add chicken broth to the skillet and use your spoon to deglaze the bottom of the pan. Make sure to get all of the brown bits up into the sauce.
for this recipe. That way you will have enough “browned bits” on the bottom that will come up into the sauce and turn the color of the sauce a bit darker.
Reduce heat and allow it to simmer for 5 minutes.
Pour in the heavy cream and stir well. Simmer for about 3 minutes.
Add Parmesan cheese and additional garlic salt. Stir to combine.
Pro-Tip: If your sauce is too thin you can put 3 teaspoons of cornstarch into a small bowl and add 3 tsp of the garlic cream sauce to thicken it up. Use a fork to mix together. Add to the garlic cream sauce and stir well.
Let simmer an additional 2-3 minutes, stirring often.
Add the chicken back to the pan in simmering sauce, to heat back up the temperature.
Serve and enjoy!
Variations / Options / Add-ins
- ONIONS: I like to add onions to my sauce. But, I have had it happen where my chopped onion was too big for my sauce. That’s why in the ingredients list it says to dice the onions as finely as you can. If you’re not an onion fan, you could definitely leave them out altogether!
- GARLIC: As with the onions, I prefer to mince the garlic very finely. You can opt for store-bought garlic to make it easy on yourself! If you would rather have the large pieces of garlic you can do that, too.
What to Serve With Creamy Garlic Parmesan Chicken
I usually serve this chicken over rice, mashed potatoes, pasta, or cauliflower mash. Our Cauliflower Fried Rice is also a great side dish too!
It works really well to use the sauce as a gravy over any of these! Usually, I also garnish with parsley.
Beyond serving over these, you could also serve your chicken with veggies or a fresh green salad or our Feta and Bacon Green Beans.
More Easy Chicken Recipes
Chicken Foil Packets | Chicken Fajita Pasta | Crack Chicken Casserole | Chicken Lo Mein | Italian Chicken Pasta | Chicken Pot Pie Skillet | Bruschetta Chicken Bake | Chicken Pot Pie Hand Pies | Longhorn Parmesan Crusted Chicken | Creamy Tuscan Chicken | Smothered Chicken
Creamy Garlic Parmesan Chicken
- 3 chicken breasts halved horizontally and pounded with a meat mallet to ensure even cooking
- 4 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 5 tbsp parmesan cheese finely grated
- 2 tsp garlic salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp salted butter
- ½ small onion finely diced (as small as you can get them)
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1¼ cup chicken broth
- 1¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup parmesan cheese finely grated
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 3 tsp cornstarch *optional
- Cut the chicken breasts in half horizontally. Use a meat mallet to pound down the thicker pieces on the chicken breasts. This will ensure even cooking and browning.
- In a shallow bowl combine flour, 5 tbsp finely grated parmesan cheese, garlic salt, and ground black pepper. Dredge chicken in the flour mixture, making sure to shake off excess flour.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat add olive oil and butter. Add chicken breasts and let cook 5-6 minutes on each side until evenly browned. Flip each breast over and continue to brown on the other side. Cook until no longer pink and the chicken is 165 degrees inside when checked with a meat thermometer. Remove chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and add onions to the remaining juices and oil in the pan. Cook for 5 minutes stirring often. Add minced garlic to the pan and allow to cook 2-3 additional minutes stirring often.
- Add chicken broth to the skillet and use your spoon to deglaze the bottom of the pan. Make sure to get all of the brown bits up into the sauce. Reduce heat to medium-low and allow it to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the heavy cream and stir well. Simmer on medium-low heat for 3 minutes. Add Parmesan cheese and additional garlic salt. Stir to combine. If your sauce is too thin you can put 3 tsp cornstarch into a small bowl and add 3 tsp of the garlic cream sauce. Use a fork to mix together. Add to the garlic cream sauce and stir well. Let simmer an additional 2-3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the chicken back to the pan and let it sit in the simmering sauce until it comes back up to temperature.
- Serve over rice, mashed potatoes, pasta, or cauliflower mash. Use the sauce as gravy and garnish with parsley.