This One-Pot Chicken Fajita Pasta is bursting with flavor! We use classic chicken fajita ingredients like peppers and chicken but blend them together with a creamy pasta to make a quick and easy one-pot meal!
Tasty Chicken Fajita Pasta
This recipe is seriously the best of Mexican food and pasta combined. Best of all, it’s super easy and only uses one pot to make the entire meal. This has all of my favorite things that any dish could offer all wrapped up in one delicious dinner.
It’s the perfect thing to make on a busy night because it’s super easy to put together. Plus, it makes a good size portion to feed the whole family and have leftovers. The flavors are awesome and it’s a nice hearty meal that everyone loves.
If you’re looking for a fun new pasta dish, you have to try this one out! It’s absolutely delicious. It will make the perfect dish for your next family dinner!
- Olive oil
- Chicken breasts
- Fajita seasoning
- Yellow onion
- Bell peppers
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Bouillon chicken base
- Heavy cream
- Rotel tomatoes
- Penne pasta
- Cracked pepper
- Green onions
Additions & Substitutions
Bell Peppers: While the recipe calls for one of each color (red, yellow, green) you can use any combination of bell peppers. I like to mix in orange bell peppers as well.
Black Olives: If you like black olives, they are a delicious addition to this pasta dish.
Onions: Feel free to substitute red onion for the yellow onion if you prefer.
Jalapeños: If you like things spicy, you can add some fresh jalapeños as a garnish.
Cheese: There is no cheese in this recipe, but if you are a cheese lover you can definitely add some in. I would recommend adding it in when you add the chicken and vegetables to the pasta.
How to Make Chicken Fajitas Pasta Recipe
Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to dutch oven and heat on medium. Add chicken cook until no longer pink.
Drain the chicken and place the pot back on the stovetop. Sprinkle ½ of the fajita seasoning packet over the chicken and stir with chicken. Cook until it is lightly browned. Remove chicken from pot and set aside.
Add remaining olive oil to the pot with bell peppers, onion, and remaining fajita seasoning. Cook for 5-7 minutes.
Add in the minced garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes more. Move vegetables to a plate.
Add water, better than bouillon chicken base, heavy cream, rotel tomatoes, garlic powder, onion powder, and penne pasta. Stir to combine.
Bring liquid to a boil, then reduce to low. Put the cover on and allow liquid to simmer until the pasta is cooked. Stir occasionally.
Add the chicken and vegetables back to the pot and stir everything together to combine. Cook uncovered on medium heat for about 3-5 minutes.
Garnish with green onions, cilantro, and fresh cracked pepper.
Tips for Making Chicken Fajita Pasta
- Make sure that your pieces of chicken are consistent in size. This will help the chicken to cook evenly and at the same rate.
- You’ll notice that this recipe is super versatile, so have fun with it. The spice level is mild to medium, if you like things spicy you can use hot Rotel or add in jalapeños. You can add cheese, sour cream, olives, etc. Pretty much anything you might add to a normal fajita!
How to Store Chicken Fajita Pasta
Store leftover pasta in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Be sure it is completely cooled before placing it in the fridge.
To reheat, place in the oven or simply pop it in the microwave.
This recipe can be frozen for up to 4 months in a container with a lid. Allow the dish to cool completely before placing it in the freezer. When you are ready to enjoy, take it out ahead of time to thaw, then place it in the oven to heat.
More Easy One-Pan Recipes
One Pot Chicken Fajita Pasta
- 3 tbsp olive oil divided
- 3 chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 1.25-ounce packet fajita seasoning (about 2 ½ tbsp), divided
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 3 bell peppers (1 red, 1 yellow, 1 green)
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp better than bouillon chicken base
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 10-ounce can Rotel tomatoes
- 8 ounce penne pasta, dried
- Salt & fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Green onions sliced for garnish
- Fresh cilantro minced for garnish
- In a dutch oven over medium heat add 2 tbsp olive oil. Add chicken and cook until no longer pink. Drain chicken juices from pot. Place back on the stove top and sprinkle ½ of the fajita seasoning packet over the chicken. Stir to combine. Continue cooking chicken until lightly browned. Remove chicken to plate and set aside.
- Add remaining olive oil to the dutch oven along with bell peppers, onion, and remaining fajita seasoning. Cook for 5-7 scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the dutch oven while stirring. Add the minced garlic and continue to cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Remove the vegetables to a plate and set aside.
- Add water, better than bouillon chicken base, heavy cream, Rotel tomatoes, garlic powder, onion powder, and penne pasta. Stir to combine. Bring liquid to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and allow to simmer until pasta is cooked, about 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Uncover and turn heat back to medium. Add chicken and vegetables back to the pot. Stir to combine. Let cook for 3-5 additional minutes.
- Garnish with green onion, cilantro, salt, and fresh cracked pepper.
- Serve and enjoy!
Sign up for the Princess Pinky Girl Newsletter and automatically receive our latest & greatest delivered right to your inbox! Follow Princess Pinky Girl on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the newest recipes, crafts, travels and updates!
If you make a Princess Pinky Girl creation make sure you take a picture and share it on Instagram with @princesspinkygirl ! I love seeing your masterpieces!