Table of Contents
These Grape Jelly Meatballs made in the slow cooker are a quick and easy appetizer that will be perfect for the next game day gathering! All you need are 3 simple ingredients and you are about to have your new favorite appetizer recipe!
How to Make Grape Jelly Meatballs in the Crockpot
From the first football game of the year to the last, there is one thing on my mind when it comes to cooking, “What can I make that is easy and delicious?” Easy and delicious. These are my two main requirements for any game day recipe.
We always have so much fun getting together with friends and family for games and we have a long-standing tradition of bringing a dish to pass and appetizers to munch on all day long. I am always looking for new, tasty recipes and when I found these grape jelly meatballs, I was sold.
These seriously could not be any easier to make! They only call for 3 recipes and there are 3 steps to making them. The final product is a juicy and tasty meatball.
Meatballs with Grape Jelly? Sounds Weird?
If you are like me, then when you first heard the name of this recipe, you may have scratched your head for a second. I thought meatballs with grape jelly sounded very strange. But once I gave these a try, I was instantly proven wrong.
When the BBQ sauce and grape jelly cook together in the slow cooker, they form their own new kind of sauce. This is what absolutely makes these the best meatballs ever! This sauce is unlike anything you’ve tasted before.
So, to answer this question in a shorter way, YES, weird, but these meatballs are to die for!
This recipe only calls for three simple ingredients! That’s right, only three! I love any recipe that has minimal ingredients because it means a quick in and out at the grocery store. Here are three things you’ll need for grape jelly meatballs:
- 18 ounces BBQ sauce – Sweet Baby Rays is our personal favorite, but any type of barbeque sauce will work.
- 18 ounces grape jelly – Any variety!
- 32-ounce bag of frozen meatballs – I use the homestyle version of frozen meatballs, but Italian meatballs will work as well. Just make sure that they are all fully cooked meatballs. You can also use homemade meatballs, but again, they should be fully cooked.
*Note: you might want to pick up some toothpicks for serving.
How to Make Grape Jelly Meatballs:
The steps to making your slow cooker meatballs are just as easy as the ingredients list!
Once again, there are just 3 steps. Are you seeing a theme here? These are SO easy to make! Plus, you can put them in the slow cooker and leave them to cook while you do other things!
Step 1: Mix BBQ sauce and grape jelly in the slow cooker.
Step 2: Add the frozen meatballs and stir. Make sure that the meatballs are covered in sauce.
Step 3: Cook on low for 4-5 hours or on high for 2 hours.
Serve with toothpicks for easy munching!
No Crock-Pot? No Problem!
You can make this recipe on the stovetop as well!
Just add all the ingredients to a pan and simmer for 10-15 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Be sure to gently stir occasionally while the meatballs cook.
Perfect for Any Occasion
These are the perfect appetizer for so many occasions! You could make them for tons of different occasions. Here are a few ideas of my favorites!
- I love to make these for game day! Whether it’s just any old football Sunday or the game of all games (the Super Bowl) grape jelly meatballs are always a hit on game day!
- These are perfect for a holiday get together! If you’re looking for a last-minute dish to bring to a New Year’s party, Thanksgiving or a family Christmas get together, these are a great thing to bring!
- Potlucks! Since these are so easy to throw together they are a perfect dish to pass at a potluck. I love that I can just plug them in when I get where I’m going.
Although these meatballs are SUPER easy to make, there are still a few pointers to make sure that they turn out just right.
Tip 1: Make sure not to overcook them! I love that these can be made in the slow cooker so you can leave them to cook while you do something else. But, you do have to keep an eye on them! If you cook them on high for too long they will burn and the sauce will harden up and stick to the sides of your slow cooker.
Tip 2: Consider using a slow cooker liner when making these for super easy cleanup!
Tip 3: If you’ll be serving a larger crowd and you have a large slow cooker, you can definitely double this batch. Just make sure that you are always using the same proportions of BBQ sauce and grape jelly to get the correct flavor in your sauce!
Tip 4: If you are a fan of spicy foods, you can add chili flakes to the mix to make some hot grape jelly meatballs! Spice fans will go crazy for this variation!
So, there you have it! The easiest appetizers you will ever make… and one of the most delicious!
These grape jelly slow cooker meatballs are perfect for so many occasions, and although they may sound odd at first, I promise that once you give them a try you will eat your words!
They are so flavorful and delicious. Gameday is about to get a whole lot tastier!
Grape Jelly Meatballs
- 18 ounces BBQ sauce
- 18 ounces grape jelly
- 32 ounce bag of frozen meatballs
- Mix the BBQ sauce and grape jelly in the slow cooker.
- Add the frozen meatballs and stir.
- Cook on low for 4-5 hours or on high for 2 hours.