This Fresh Watermelon Cake is the perfect light and refreshing summer dessert! It’s a diet-friendly recipe with a creamy homemade whipped topping that’s ready in just about 20 minutes and no-bake!
A Cake Made Out of Fresh Watermelon
Yes, you read the heading right. This cake has a huge surprise in it… an entire fresh watermelon!
While this tasty treat is low-carb and diet-friendly, it isn’t lacking in sweetness or flavor. The creamy homemade whipped topping adds just the right amount of sweet, rich flavor.
You can decorate this cake however you like, and it’s so pretty when it’s finished. Our watermelon cake makes for a lovely, light, and fruity summer dessert, just like my Lemon Icebox Cake or Banana Cream Pie Dip.
Your whole family will love this dessert, and you can easily stick to your diet with this healthy option!
Why We Love This Watermelon Cake
- Quick and easy to make
- Kid-friendly and approved
- Healthy dessert option
- Low carb and diet-friendly
- No-bake recipe
- 15 minute prep time
- Short ingredient list
- Versatile toppings with endless options
- Great for summer gatherings
- Light and fruity dessert option
- Heavy whipping cream
- Powdered sugar
- Lemon juice
- Seedless watermelon
SEE FULL PRINTABLE RECIPE CARD BELOW
How to Make our Fresh Watermelon Cake
With just 5-step instructions and a 10-minute prep time, this recipe couldn’t be quicker or easier to put together. And you can have some fun decorating your cake however you like, for any occasion!
Whip together heavy cream, powdered sugar, lemon juice, and cinnamon in a chilled bowl until stiff peaks form.
PRO-TIP: Cream whips best when it’s cold, so we recommend using a chilled bowl to make it. Just pop it in the freezer for about 15 minutes prior to making it!
Cut the top and bottom of the watermelon to create flat surfaces on both ends.
Trim off all skin and shape the watermelon into a cake. Pat the watermelon dry (this is super important or the whipped cream topping won’t stick.)
Pro-tip: You should have quite a few scraps of watermelon from trimming the cake down. Feel free to chop it up to snack on later or add it to a fruit salad.
Coat the watermelon in whipped topping.
Pro-tip: If you have extra whipped cream after decorating the cake, use it as a fruit dip for any extra fruit left over (or to eat alongside the watermelon scraps).
Decorate with raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries.
Variations / Options / Add-ins
- TOPPINGS: You can have a lot of fun with the topping on this cake. You can switch out the fruit entirely. Or, you can add ingredients like shredded coconut or crushed almonds. You could also drizzle this cake with chocolate, or add sprinkles to jazz it up. Really, the sky’s the limit when it comes to the toppings on your watermelon cake.
- WHIPPED CREAM: If you prefer, you can simply use a store-bought whipped topping for your cake (but we really prefer the homemade!). You could also leave the whipped cream off altogether and decorate your cake without.
How to Choose the Best Watermelon
You want to choose a ripe watermelon that has good sweetness to it for your cake.
The best way to find the best watermelon is to look for a yellow spot. Watermelons form a spot where they rest on the ground, and when it’s light yellow, that means it’s ripe.
You can also tap on the watermelon and listen. If you hear a deep hollow sound, it means it’s very juicy and ripe!
Frequently Asked Questions
How to Store Fresh Watermelon Cake?
Be sure to refrigerate your cake until you are ready to serve and in between servings to be sure the whipped topping doesn’t melt off.
Cover and store in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. If you are concerned about smudging the frosting, use a bowl to form a dome of aluminum foil to put over the cake.
How Do I Cut My Watermelon into a Cake Shape?
The way that you cut your watermelon to get it shaped like a cake can often depend on the watermelon you have. Start by cutting the bottom and top off so that you have a flat surface on each end and can set the cake down. Then, using a sharp knife, begin to cut the sides down until you get your desired shape. You’ll feel a bit like a sculptor!
What Can I Change About This Watermelon Cake Recipe?
As I briefly mentioned above, there are endless changes you can make to this recipe to either make it easier or decorate more.
You can also add some other things to the top as decoration, like almond slices, piped flowers, kiwis, grapes, etc. Just have fun with it!
This is a wonderful summer cake that should be enjoyed by everyone, including the one making it. And you don’t have to feel bad about having that second slice, or the third, or the fourth.
More Easy Summer Desserts
- 2½ cups cold heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 seedless watermelon
- ½ cup raspberries
- ½ cup strawberries sliced or halved
- ¼ cup blueberries
- Refrigerate the metal bowl you will use for mixing for at least 10 minutes. Or chill it in the freezer for five minutes. This will make it easier to whip your frosting.
- Make the whipped cream by using a mixer to whip the heavy cream, powdered sugar, lemon juice, and cinnamon in the cold bowl until it forms stiff peaks, about 3-5 minutes. Make sure the peaks are as stiff as you can make them. Refrigerate immediately and set aside for now.
- Cut the top and bottom of the watermelon to create even flat surfaces on both ends. The watermelon should be able to stand upright now. Trim off all the skin on the watermelon.
- Shape the watermelon into a cake form by trimming the sides into straight lines and cutting more off the top and bottom.
- Pat the watermelon dry with a paper towel as thoroughly as you can.
- Coat the entire watermelon with previously made whipped cream.
- Decorate with raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries. Refrigerate until ready to plate and serve.
Sign up for the Princess Pinky Girl Newsletter and automatically receive our latest & greatest delivered right to your inbox! Follow Princess Pinky Girl on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the newest recipes, crafts, travels and updates!
If you make a Princess Pinky Girl creation make sure you take a picture and share it on Instagram with @princesspinkygirl ! I love seeing your masterpieces!