These 2-ingredient homemade bagels are made with self-rising flour and Greek yogurt. They are a quick and easy low-calorie classic version of a classic bagel.
No, you did not read the title of this recipe wrong. It’s true, these amazing bagels are made with just 2-ingredients. This recipe makes a delicious bagel with a thick chewy skin and a moist and chewy inside, just like traditional bagels, but perfect for your diet. Top them off with your favorite toppings or spreads for the perfect homemade bakery item.
The Easiest 2-Ingredient Homemade Bagels
Are you a bagel lover? I certainly am! They are easily one of my all-time favorite breakfast foods. However, they are not great when watching my weight. Not to mention, they are very time consuming to make.
This 2-ingredient homemade bagel recipe has taken care of all of that. This is the easiest way to make bagels that turn out delicious every single time.
These low-calorie bagels use non-fat Green Yogurt and flour and that is it! No eggs, no rest time, no poaching in water! Just mix, bake and enjoy!
They are super popular in the Weight Watchers community, but I first heard about them from Skinnytaste!
Why We Love This Recipe
- Only 2 ingredients needed to make.
- Low-calorie and healthier than the traditional bagel! Great for your diet (they are even Weight Watcher approved! They count as 3 Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints)
- Also, lower carb and higher protein than the usual bagel. Satisfy your carb cravings!
- Quick and easy to bake. No yeast and no boiling required!
- Tons of variations for different flavored bagels.
- A great freezer item for an easy breakfast or snack option.
- 2 cups self-rising flour: It is super important for this recipe that you use self-rising flour, and do not substitute all-purpose flour! If you do, this recipe will not turn out. You can make your own self-rising flour by mixing regular flour with baking powder and salt.
- 2 cups Greek yogurt: While I use Fage 2% Greek Yogurt, you could use any brand and style of Greek yogurt that you prefer, however, you will want a thick yogurt for them to come out perfect. The texture of Greek yogurt is necessary for this recipe to turn out. If the yogurt is watery, drain it before adding it to the flour.
How to Make No-Yeast 2-Ingredient Bagels
If you thought the ingredients list was easy for these bagels, wait until you read these instructions, because they are just as easy! This recipe comes together so quickly, and it’s pretty much impossible to mess up.
- Knead it together with the yogurt and the flour until it forms a dough and has some elasticity.
- Form a ball with the dough and slice into 8 separate pieces.
- Form the ball into a bagel shape and place on a lined baking sheet.
- (Optional) – egg wash and add desired toppings – see suggestions below.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Turn oven temperature up to 500°F.
- Bake bagels until they are browned on top (3-5 minutes).
How to Shape the Dough Into a Bagel
- Cut the dough into 8 pieces.
- Roll each piece of dough into a log.
- Loop together the ends of the log to form the circular bagel.
Toppings / Add-ins
FLAVORED BAGELS: There are endless ways you can change up these bagels to make them different flavors. To add ingredients, before baking, egg wash and sprinkle your toppings on the raw dough.
My personal favorite is Everything But the Bagel Seasoning from Trader Joe’s. If you don’t have a Trader Joe’s by you, they have something similar elsewhere, but it is just a mix of dried minced garlic, poppy seeds, white sesame seeds, black sesame seeds, dried onion flakes, and flaked or coarse sea salt. I use this on everything! You can also get Everything But the Bagel Seasoning here!
I’ve tried and loved: sesame seeds, cinnamon sugar, poppy seeds, dried onion flakes, mini chocolate chips. But the plain version is awesome too!
CINNAMON BAGEL: Love cinnamon? Me too – you can add 1 tsp of cinnamon in the batter and some raisins to get that much loved cinnamon raising bagel.
EGG WASH: Optional: Brush tops and sides of bagels with an egg wash before initial baking. To make your egg wash combine 1 egg (beaten) with 1 tablespoon of water. This will help toppings stick to the bagel and will give them that perfect browning on top.
SPREADS: Baked bagels can be sliced open, toasted, and topped with cream cheese, butter, Nutella, peanut butter, jam, or whatever spread you prefer on your bagels. If you are keeping it “diet friendly” try a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese spread. They have tons of flavors and it is perfect on a toasted bagel.
Breakfast Bagel: These also make great breakfast sandwiches! Add a cooked egg, some turkey bacon and low-calorie cheese and you have a delicious breakfast bagel sandwich!
Tips to Make the Perfect Bagel
- When you’re kneading the dough, you want it so that it can be stretched and is somewhat smooth and no longer sticky. That’s how you will know it’s ready.
- If the dough seems sticky, add a little bit more flour to it.
How to Store 2-Ingredient Bagels
Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days. You can store bagels in the fridge or at room temperature, whichever you prefer. I like to keep mine in the fridge. I find they keep better, and since we typically toast them before eating, the coldness doesn’t matter.
You can also freeze these bagels for up to 3 months. I love to make a big batch and freeze half a dozen for an easy breakfast option later on!
More Low-Carb Recipes
2 Ingredient Bagels
- 2 cups self-rising flour do not substitute all-purpose
- 2 cups Greek yogurt I used 2% Fage
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mound flour on clean countertop or cutting board.
- Scoop yogurt into center of flour.
- Use your hands to scoop flour from the outside into the inside of the mound, kneading it together with the yogurt until it forms a dough.
- Continue kneading the dough until it has some elasticity (can be stretched) and is somewhat smooth and no longer sticky.
- Form a ball with the dough and slice into 8 separate pieces.
- Roll each piece into a log and loop the two ends together to form the bagels.
- Place bagels on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Turn oven temperature up to 500°F and continue baking bagels until they are browned on top (3-5 minutes).
- Optional: Brush tops and sides of bagels with an egg wash before initial baking and add toppings
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Baked bagels can be sliced open, toasted, and topped with cream cheese or whatever spread you prefer on your bagels.
- Everything but the Bagel seasoning
- Cinnamon Sugar
- Sesame seeds
- Poppy seeds
- Dried onion flakes
- Mini chocolate chips
Sign up for the Princess Pinky Girl Newsletter and automatically receive our latest & greatest delivered right to your inbox! Follow Princess Pinky Girl on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the newest recipes, crafts, travels and updates!
If you make a Princess Pinky Girl creation make sure you take a picture and share it on Instagram with @princesspinkygirl ! I love seeing your masterpieces!