Anyone who has been pregnant has had one of those experiences. That time when someone says something so totally absurd about your pregnancy that your jaw literally hits the floor. You cannot imagine how these people get through life on a daily basis when such total and utter stupidity can come out of their mouths. Even worse is that the majority of these comments come from women who have also endured the 9 long months of pregnancy and the emotional hurdles that go along with it!
We all loved when people commented on our weight, judged our decisions and constantly told us how we were going to harm our child before they were even born….because we weren’t freaking ourselves out enough – we for sure needed their assistance in pushing us right over the edge! Well sit back and enjoy some doozies! These will knock your socks off! (on a happier and more positive note – check out these super cute Gender Reveal Party Ideas!)
Thanks to all of you for for submitting your “stupid things people say to pregnant women” on my Facebook page! I sifted through and pulled out the best of the best (and I couple I wanted to include, but just couldn’t…. they were SO not okay!!)
- I am going to start out with one of my own! I was pregnant with my third. I already had two beautiful boys. A work colleague asked me if I knew what I was having. “Yes, it is a boy!” I answered excitedly! “Oh No….I am SO worried that will happen to my daughter too!!”
Here are some of my great reader responses! All anonymous, of course!
- “I didn’t do an epidural because I love my baby.”
- While I was pregnant with my 3rd child my Mother-in-law introduced me to someone and proceeded to tell them that this was my 3rd and final. Umm who made her boss over how many children I will or will not have?
- One guy asked if I had double checked with the doctor because it looked like I was having triplets… talk about a meltdown moment
- “Are you pregnant? AGAIN! Like mom said, you can teach ignorance, you can’t teach stupid.”
- “Wow! Your tits and ass are huge!” (from a 74 year old male patient of mine)
- A guy walking behind me didn’t realize I was pregnant, when he walked passed me he said, “oh wow, You should put a sign on your back that says WIDE LOAD!”
- “Are you having twins?” “No I’m not having twins.” “Are you sure?” No I’m so stupid I have no idea how many babies are in my stomach.
- “Aren’t you a bit big to be that far along?”
- When I went to my first Ob app. The nurse asked a list of questions. The stupidest, “do you and your husband have sexual intercourse?” I looked at her, then my belly, then her again. I said uhhhh yeah…..
- A woman I never met blurts out,”you’re pregnant?!” I just stared at her and someone said,”well yeah!” She retorted with,”I didn’t know, we all carry weight differently.”
- Not to take a bath or the baby will drown.
- “How much weight have you gained?”
- Some told me that I didn’t look pregnant and wanted to know if I was only faking the pregnancy to marry him and get his money?
- My favorite one wasn’t actually said to me, but to my husband… and from his mother no less… she asked him, actually had the audacity to ask if he was even sure that the baby was his.
- “It’s nice because you’ll still look pregnant after you have the baby, so you can use the pregnancy parking.”
- “You’re pregnant again? You don’t need to have them so close together cause you can’t spend enough time or love with them.”
- From my Mother-In-Law “Maybe you’re wrong..maybe u’re not pregnant..you shouldn’t be pregnant before my other daughter-in-law”
- “You don’t look old enough to be pregnant. Are you going to keep it?” I was 20.
- “Is it a boy or a girl?… Oh.”
- Someone told me that I was going to be in a wheel chair when my daughter graduated from college… I was gonna to be a old mom!! I was 23 when I had her.
- “Was it planned?”
- While shopping with my other children and pregnant with my 3rd…”you didn’t learn the first two times how babies are made?” Then pregnant with my 4th… “Don’t you think you have enough kids?”
- “Are you pregnant or just bloated?” I was about 32 weeks pregnant at the time.
- “I knew you were pregnant when I saw you in March,” Except I wasn’t pregnant yet.
- I was on the table waiting for my c-sec with my twins. I was talking to the NURSE and telling her they were boy/girl. Then she asked me “are they identical?” I said not when we change the diapers. You would think a nurse would know better.
- “You look better with a little fat on your face.”
- We all get this question over and over… but I ADORE this answer – “What’s it going to be?” I told one person I was hoping for a puppy they didn’t look impressed
- From my husband…on mothers day….”eeewwww….why are your nipples so dark?”
So…what have we learned here? First of all, be very careful with what you are saying to pregnant women… a foot in the mouth comment will stick with us far longer than you would ever think. AND, being on the receiving end of these comments is part of the badge of motherhood… it happens to all of us. Just nod, smile, walk away ….. and blog about it later!!
P.S. What is the stupidest unsolicited parenting advice you have received from a stranger? See some of our readers answers here! You won’t want to miss them…trust me!
Had the baby? Check out this one!!!