S’mores Thumbprint Cookies are a simple spin on the classic campfire sandwich, filled with the same s’mores flavors without setting foot near a fire.
This recipe takes less than 20 minutes to make using kitchen-staple ingredients that combine the nostalgia of an outdoor treat with the ease of an indoor indulgence.
Table of Contents
Simple S’mores Thumbprint Cookies Recipe
This S’mores Thumbprint Cookies recipe is a quick and easy way to transform the traditional camping treat into a classic thumbprint cookie with a slight twist.
It takes only 5 minutes to make the simple from scratch sugar cookie dough, (with plenty of crushed graham cracker pieces mixed throughout) then roll the batter into balls, imprint and bake until set.
The middle of these soft and buttery melt-in-your-mouth cookies are filled with mini marshmallows and chocolate, then quickly placed back in the oven to melt and merge with the graham cracker flavored base.
For more s’mores recipes that you can bake in the comfort of your kitchen, try my S’mores Hand Pies, S’mores Cookies, S’mores Cookie Cups, and so many more!
Why We Love This S’mores Thumbprint Cookies Recipe
- Quick and easy to make in under 20 minutes.
- Uses simple ingredients to bake a classic cookie filled with sweet s’mores flavors.
- Homemade sugar cookie base with crushed graham crackers baked inside.
- Gooey marshmallows and chocolate melt mess-free inside the cookie’s indent.
- Delicious way to deliver the fun of your favorite summer treat when you’re unable to make the real deal by a campfire.
- Perfect for potlucks, backyard barbecues, cookie exchanges, and dessert platters.
- Unsalted butter
- Light brown sugar
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Almond extract
- All purpose flour
- Graham crackers
- Mini marshmallows
- Hershey chocolate bars
SEE FULL PRINTABLE RECIPE CARD BELOW
Substitutions and Additions
- Choose Your Chocolate: You can use the classic Hershey’s chocolate bars, chocolate chunks, or chocolate chips. Make them with dark chocolate, milk chocolate, or semi-sweet chocolate. You can even top your marshmallows with a Hershey’s Kiss.
- Graham Cracker Crumbles: Feel free to use use honey, cinnamon or even chocolate graham crackers in this recipe.
- Cookie Crumbles: Instead of mixing graham crackers crumbs into the cookie dough, you can crush your favorite cookies, like Oreos, Fudge-Striped Cookies, Chip’s Ahoy Cookies, Nilla Wafers, etc. and add the cookie crumbles to the mixture.
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring tools
- Cookie sheet
- Stand mixer
- Cookie Scoop
How to Make S’mores Thumbprint Cookies
S’mores Thumbprint Cookies are the easiest way to enjoy a delicious s’mores-flavored dessert in the form of a classic cookie. This simple recipe bakes the graham crackers right into the base and then fills the middles with melted marshmallows and chocolate–no campfire needed!
- Make The Mixture: Mix together the butter and both sugars until light and fluffy. Add the egg, vanilla, and almond extract and continue to mix. Add the salt, flour, and crushed graham crackers, and mix until combined.
- Bake The Base: Scoop and roll 1 Tablespoon of the cookie batter into balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Press with your thumb to create a little well in each. Bake at 325°F for 10 minutes.
Pro Tip: Leave at least a ½” between cookies on the baking sheet.
- Fill: Add 4 marshmallows to each cookie then top with two pieces of chocolate.
- Melt The Middle: Place back into the oven for 3 minutes, remove, and spread the melted chocolate/marshmallows with the back of a spoon.
- Cool: Cool for 10 minutes before transferring cookies to a cooling rack.
- If you don’t have mini marshmallows, you can use kitchen scissors to cut regular marshmallows into quarters.
- To make graham cracker crumbs, you can use a food processor with a metal blade or place the graham crackers in a Ziploc bag and use a rolling pin to crumble them.
- To Store: Once the cookies have cooled completely, store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
Frequently Asked Questions
The name, “thumbprint cookies” comes from the way they are prepared. The batter is rolled into balls, flattened a bit, then indented with a thumbprint in the center to make a little well that is filled with something sweet.
The easiest way to get crushed graham crackers is to use store-bought graham cracker crumbs (found in the baking aisle next to graham cracker crumb pie crusts).
To make your own, place a couple of sleeves of broken graham crackers into a blender or food processor and pulse until finely ground. You can also do this by placing the graham crackers in a ziploc bag and rolling with a rolling pin.
These S’mores Thumbprint Cookies are really good fresh out of the oven! After a couple of minutes to cool and firm, they’re heavenly.
You can also eat them after they’ve completely cooled. If you prefer them warm but you didn’t catch them out of the oven, heat them for a quick 10 seconds in the microwave.
Other Easy Cookie Recipes
- Strawberry Cheesecake Cookies
- Oreo Stuffed Cookies
- No-Bake Avalanche Cookies
- Rainbow Sprinkle Cookies
- S’more Cracker Cookies
S’mores Thumbprint Cookies
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter softened
- ¼ cup Light Brown Sugar packed
- ¼ cup Granulated Sugar
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ¼ tsp Almond Extract
- 1-⅓ cups All Purpose Flour
- 1-½ cups Graham Crackers crushed
- 80 Mini Marshmallows
- 4 Hershey Chocolate Bars
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- In a large mixing bowl add the softened butter and both sugars and mix until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg, vanilla and almond extract and continue to mix.
- Add the salt, flour and crushed graham crackers, continuing to mix until evenly combined.
- Take 1 Tablespoon of the mixture and roll into a ball. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and press lightly with your thumb to create a little well.
- Repeat with the remaining mix, filling the cookie sheet with at least a ½” between cookies.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes then remove.
- Add 4 marshmallows to each cookie then top with two pieces of chocolate.
- Place back into the oven for 3 minutes and remove.
- Using the back of a spoon carefully spread the chocolate/marshmallows just a little.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- If you don’t have mini marshmallows, you can use a kitchen scissors to cut regular marshmallows into quarters.
- To make graham cracker crumbs, you can use a food processor with metal blade or place the graham crackers in a ziploc bag and use a rolling pin to crumble them.