DIY sidewalk chalk it is cheap to make and you can make any shape you want! You only need three ingredients and a mold and you are on your way to non-stop summer fun!
Are you looking for something great to make with the kids this summer? Then you must try my DIY sidewalk chalk! We are going to show you everything you wanted to know about How to make your own sidewalk chalk!
What I love about making our own Sidewalk Chalk is that is it not only super easy and inexpensive to make, but it is a fun activity to do with your kids AND you can make any shape you want!
This sidewalk chalk recipe only takes 3 ingredients and a mold and you are all set to go to create your own summer fun!
I love playing with sidewalk chalk! What is better than the BIGGEST chalkboard ever – my driveway!!!
A piece of chalk and a driveway provide hours of entertainment (check out my article on AMAZING THINGS TO DO WITH SIDEWALK CHALK…. there is SO much you can do with it!
You can draw pictures, make up games, draw an entire track of cities to play with trucks on!
So when I found out that I could make my own, that opened up a whole new world of possibilities AND The best news is that it is CHEAP AND if you have the right mold you can make ANY shapes!!!
Having a birthday party or end of the school year party? Make these sidewalk chalks and put them in a cute bag and tie them with some ribbon and you have a cute giveaway for your guests.
They are also great to make as Valentine’s gifts if you are looking for a non-candy Valentine alternative.
Items needed to make sidewalk chalk:
- Plaster of Paris (dry powder, not mixed. Get this HERE at Amazon or locally at Michaels)
- Tempera Paint – have fun with the colors!
- Silicon Mold (here is a great STAR mold & HEART mold)
- Disposable Cups
- Plastic Spoons
DIY sidewalk chalk
- Plaster of Paris dry powder, not mixed. They have this at Michaels
- Tempera Paint have fun with the colors!
- Silicon Mold
- Disposable Cups
- Plastic Spoons
- For each color you will need a separate cup.
- Fill each cup with 3/4 cup of water.
- Add 1/4 cup of paint
- Add 1 cup of Plaster of Paris
- Mix well
- Pour mixture into molds (I cleaned up the edges with a paper towel)
- If you want to layer colors just pour the first color in and add the second or third on top (see picture below - don't mix them)
- Let dry for 24 hours. Remove them from the mold (be careful because they are still soft and you need to carefully pop them out). Let them dry outside the molds for an additional 24 hours!
- Presto - your own homemade sidewalk chalk!!!! So fun!!
Looking for some creative ideas to do with your new homemade sidewalk chalk, check these out:
Amazing things to do with sidewalk chalk!
Could I possibly get a recipe with ingredients and directions please?
Here is the link to the recipe: http://princesspinkygirl.com/diy-sidewalk-chalk/2/
This looks like so much fun to make and give! My grandbabies love to write and draw with chalk on the sidewalk. I shared this craft on my Facebook craft page with a link back to this page.
How much chalk does this recipe end up making?
Can you use acrylic paint instead of tempura paint?
I wouldn’t recommend it. Tempura paint is water soluble and acrylic paint is permanent.
Thank you for this recipe! I’ve loved making homemade chalk with my kids for years and have slightly adapted your recipe to do so! We like to add a lot more paint – just so the color is super bright! Thanks again!
Do you just add extra paint? I would love brighter colors too….Thank You
What am I doing wrong? The mixture went hard before I could get it into the molds…