These ooey-gooey Hot Chocolate Cookies are made with pantry staples, cocoa powder, and topped with chocolate chunks and melted marshmallows. They taste just like a delicious mug of hot chocolate in cookie form!
Table of Contents
- Hot Chocolate Cookie Recipe
- Why We Love This Recipe
- Ingredients/Shopping List
- How to Make Hot Chocolate Cookies
- Variations / Options / Add-ins
- Can I Make Cookies With Hot Chocolate?
- Can I Make Hot Chocolate Cookies Ahead Of Time?
- How to Store Hot Chocolate Cookies
- More Delicious Cookie Recipes
- Hot Chocolate Cookies Recipe
Hot Chocolate Cookie Recipe
Chocolate lover’s get ready, because these hot chocolate cookies are your dream come true! It only takes 20 minutes to prep the cookie dough for these one of a kind chocolate cookies. After the dough has chilled, it’s time to bake and top them with the chocolate and marshmallow.
The cookies themselves are perfectly chewy around the edges, while soft and gooey on the inside. The chocolate chunk and marshmallow topping melts just right over the top for a s’mores like effect. Whether you’re looking for a quick cookie recipe for a bake sale or want the perfect winter treat to have around the house, these are just what you need!
Why We Love This Recipe
- Can easily be made ahead and frozen
- Makes a gooey, soft, chewy cookie
- The ingredients list is full of pantry staples, that you likely already have at home
- That perfectly golden marshmallow on top!
- Quick prep time
- Kid-friendly and approved
- Perfect for bake sales or holiday get-togethers
- Butter (unsalted)
- Semi sweet chocolate chips
- Light brown sugar
- Cocoa powder
- Chocolate chunks
How to Make Hot Chocolate Cookies
This recipe will come together in 3 steps.
STEP 1: MIX together the batter.
STEP 2: CHILL. Let the batter sit in the fridge to chill
STEP 3: ASSEMBLE the delicious cookies
- Melt together butter and chocolate chips and mix with brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
- In another bowl, stir together dry ingredients. Add these to wet ingredients and mix.
- Cover bowl and place in the fridge for one hour.
- Scoop dough balls on a lined baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Place 3-4 chocolate chunks and half marshmallow on each cookie. Bake for an additional 3 minutes.
- Turn the oven to broil for 20-30 seconds to brown tops.
IMPORTANT NOTE: When broiling the marshmallows DO NOT take your eyes off of them (I mean, even for a second). They will burn. They will catch fire. You just want them to slightly brown and then take them out!!
Variations / Options / Add-ins
- CHOCOLATE CHIPS & CHUNKS: You can substitute any type of chocolate chips or chocolate chunks in this recipe. Milk, dark, or white chocolate would all be delicious.
- OTHER TOPPINGS: I have seen other make these cookies with a number of toppings. Caramel chocolate, Peppermint patties, or Rolos are a few I’ve seen. I haven’t tried these, but they sound delicious!
- FLAVORED MARSHMALLOWS: If there’s a certain flavored marshmallow you like, you could totally use it here. Peppermint flavored marshmallows would be amazing in these!
Can I Make Cookies With Hot Chocolate?
One additional substitution is to actually use hot chocolate powder in these hot chocolate cookies. You would simply substitute this in place of the cocoa powder.
This adds a delicious flavor, but it is quite a bit sweeter. For this reason, I prefer the cocoa powder, and I still feel it tastes just like a cup of hot chocolate in cookie form!
- When melting together your chocolate chips and butter, you want it to be completely melted, but not hot. If it’s too hot, when you mix in the eggs they will scramble!
- When you’re browning the marshmallow in the last step, keep a very close eye on your cookies! They will burn quickly.
Can I Make Hot Chocolate Cookies Ahead Of Time?
This is a wonderful make ahead cookie recipe. The cookie dough can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, and kept in the freezer for up to 4 months!
I love doubling this and storing half of the dough in the freezer for use at a later time. It makes it so quick and easy for a last-minute treat.
How to Store Hot Chocolate Cookies
Store leftovers in a sealed food storage container on the counter for 3-4 days or in the refrigerator in a sealed food storage container for a week.
More Delicious Cookie Recipes
Hot Chocolate Cookies
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cups semi sweet chocolate chips 300g bag
- 1 ¼ cups light brown sugar packed
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 15 large marshmallows cut into halves
- 1 cup dark chocolate chunks
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, melt together butter and semi sweet chocolate chips. Stir at 30 second intervals until melted. You’ll want this melted but not hot (if too hot, it will scramble the eggs when you add them in). Let cool 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together chocolate mixture, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla extract. Beat until smooth (about 2-3 minutes).
- In a separate bowl, stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and beat just until mixed. Don’t over mix.
- Cover mixing bowl with food safe wrap and place in fridge for one hour.
- Line three baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. You’ll want to bake just one tray at a time.
- Scoop 2-tablespoon sized balls of cookie dough and place 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Slightly press down the tops of each cookie ball.
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Bake one tray at a time for about 10 minutes each. Tops should be slightly set.
- Remove from oven and place 3-4 chunks of dark chocolate chunks on each cookie. Press down slightly but don’t press all the way to the bottom of the cookie.
- Place a half marshmallow on the top of each cookie – placing the cut side up.
- Bake for an additional 3 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside for now. Repeat steps with other baking sheets. (WATCH THE MARSHMALLOWS VERY CAREFULLY – THEY WILL BURN!!!!)
- When all cookies are baked and out of the oven, turn the oven up to broil. Place one cookie sheet at a time into the oven for about 20-30 seconds to brown the tops of the marshmallows. Watch these carefully as they will burn quickly.