These Apple Shaped Cupcakes are the perfect Fall Dessert. Not to mention, they make a great Teacher Appreciation Day gift – it is always a good idea to bring your teacher an apple, especially an Apple Cupcake!
Apple shaped cupcakes are so easy to make! What an adorable fall dessert they make too!! If you are looking for a great Teacher Appreciation Day gift – these apple cupcakes are just perfect! These are a super fun Cake Mix Hack that anyone can do!
I think fall is my favorite time of year. Not because I like the autumn season best, but because it ushers in so many other things that I love. That, and my blog is called Simple and Seasonal, so I pretty much love the changing of the seasons. 🙂
The “newness” of back to school season, the cooling weather, the anticipation of the holidays and most of all-the FOOD. It’s time for the rich flavors of caramel, the warmth of cinnamon and ginger, hearty comfort food and sweets!
In my mind, September means apples and lots of them! So this month I decided to make these Easy Apple Shaped Cupcakes!
Table of Contents
I’m not a school teacher, but I think I’d prefer one of these cuties instead of an actual apple on my desk. Actually, I’d take any kind of cupcake. I kinda have a thing for cute cupcakes. Check out my Slime Monster Cupcakes for Halloween, Easy Turkey Cupcakes for Thanksgiving or Snowball Elf Cupcakes for Christmas. So fun!
The great thing about apple shaped cupcakes is the fact that you can make any kind of cake you’d like. Use any flavor box mix you’d like or make them from scratch. The fun is in the decorating anyway! Can anyone say Cake Mix Hack idea!! Love this!
So, how do you get a cupcake in the shape of an apple? Well, the trick to shaping the apple is a little ball of tin foil! It is super easy, just roll it in a ball and place it in the pan before cooking and it will leave a small indentation in the cupcake (mind blowing, right!) See the example below.
Easy Apple Shaped Cupcakes
- 1 box cake mix, plus ingredients called for (any flavor you like)
- 1 tub vanilla or strawberry frosting (strawberry is easier to color red)
- red food coloring
- candy leaf decorations (I found mine at Michael’s)
- pretzel sticks
- small balls of foil for shaping cupcakes
- Prepare cake mix according to instructions on the box. Line a cupcake pan with liners and fill 2/3 full with batter. Don’t overfill! Place a small ball of foil in the pan to shape the cake as it bakes.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, you may have to cut the tops off a bit so they are flat instead of domed. Remove the foil balls. Color your frosting red and frost the tops smoothly.
- Cut the pretzel sticks in half and insert in the side (where the foil balls were.) Top with a candy leaf and you’re done!
A few tips for making these Easy Apple Shaped Cupcakes
- Start with pink (strawberry) frosting and you won’t need as much red food coloring
- Fill the cups a little less than you normally would so you don’t have to cut off the tops
- Don’t add the pretzels until you’re ready to serve-they will get stale overnight
Looking for some other great Fall desserts or Teacher Appreciation Day Gifts? See some of my other great recipes below:
Caramel Apple Crisp Bites – these are my favorite fall dessert recipe!