Cinnamon Roll Poke Cake starts with a box of cake mix and followed by a creamy cinnamon sugar filling and topped off with a delicious cream cheese frosting. This easy sheet cake will soon become a family favorite recipe!
Cinnamon Roll Cake Recipe
This cinnamon roll poke cake is one of my favorites. The sweet and moist cinnamon sugar cake and the creamy cream cheese frosting combination is simply perfection.
What is a Poke Cake
A poke cake is simply a cake baked and once it is cooled you poke lines of holes in it. After you poke the holes, you fill the holes with liquid or filling. This makes and incredibly flavorful and most cake.
In this case, the filling is a delicious vanilla and cinnamon flavor. Then top the cake with icing or whipped topping.
By poking holes in the cake and filling them, it makes it so that every bite is full of the delicious flavor of whatever filling you’ve used.
Cinnamon Roll Poke Cake Ingredients
For the cake:
- 1 box vanilla (white) cake mix – prepare as directed on the box
For the filling:
- Brown sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- Vanilla extract
- Sweetened condensed milk
For the frosting:
- Cream cheese
- Clear vanilla flavoring
- Powdered sugar
- Heavy cream
Additions & Substitutions
Vanilla: You can use vanilla extract if you do not have the clear vanilla. The clear vanilla flavoring just helps to keep the frosting nice and white.
Cake: You can use any type of boxed cake mix brand. White cake is best, but you could use a yellow cake mix or vanilla cake mix if you’d like.
Frosting: If you’re on a time crunch or simply want to make things a bit easier, you can use your favorite store-bought frosting instead of making your own. I would recommend using a cream cheese style frosting, but vanilla would work, too!
How to Make Cinnamon Roll Poke Cake
Bake the cake according to the directions on the box and allow it to cool completely.
Poke holes in the cake (approximately ½ inch apart).
Heat and whisk cinnamon sugar mixtures and ladle mixture over the top of the cake.
Mix frosting ingredients together. Smooth frosting on top of the cake.
- To poke the holes in my cake, I use the back of a wooden spoon and it works really well. You could use the back of any kitchen utensil that has a small round end.
- I have found that poke cakes tend to be best after sitting for a day. This time allows for the filling to really seep into the cake. If you can make this the night before you plan to serve it, the flavors are sure to be really soaked into your cake!
How to Store Poke Cake
Any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container and placed in the fridge. It can also be kept on the countertop, but will keep longer if stored in the fridge.
More Easy Cake Recipes
Cinnamon Roll Poke Cake
For the Cake
- 1 box white cake mix prepare as directed on the box
For the Filling
- 5 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup light brown sugar packed
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
For the Frosting
- 8 ounce bar cream cheese softened
- ½ cup butter softened
- 2 teaspoons clear vanilla flavoring You can use vanilla extract if you do not have the clear vanilla. The clear vanilla flavoring keeps the frosting white
- 2 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350*. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with a baking spray.
- Prepare the vanilla cake as directed on the cake box. Allow the cake to cool completely.
- Using the handle of a wooden spoon, poke holes in the cake. Spread the holes a ½” apart.
- In a heat safe bowl, add the 5 tablespoons of butter and the light brown sugar. Heat the butter mixture for 45 seconds, stir, and heat a further 20 seconds. Stir until the brown sugar begins to melt.
- Slowly whisk in the ground cinnamon, vanilla extract and sweetened condensed milk. Whisk until all the ingredients are combined.
- Carefully ladle the butter mixture evenly over the top of the cake.
- Using a stand mixer, or a handheld mixer and a medium size mixing bowl, on medium to medium-high speed, cream the butter and cream cheese together. Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low, add the clear vanilla flavoring, heavy cream and the powdered sugar a ½ cup at a time. Return the mixer speed to medium and continue mixing until the frosting is smooth.
- Spoon all of the frosting on the cake, and using a silicone spatula smooth the frosting. Any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container.
You are in for a huge treat with this poke cake. Every bite is bursting with delicious flavor. The cake is moist and soft. The homemade frosting is the perfect way to top it all of.
Sign up for the Princess Pinky Girl Newsletter and automatically receive our latest & greatest delivered right to your inbox! Follow Princess Pinky Girl on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the newest recipes, crafts, travels and updates!
If you make a Princess Pinky Girl creation make sure you take a picture and share it on Instagram with @princesspinkygirl ! I love seeing your masterpieces!