Double Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats recipe transforms the traditional no bake cereal treats into a rich must-try dessert for any die-hard chocolate lover in your life.
Table of Contents
- Cocoa Pebbles Rice Krispies Treats
- Why We Love This Cocoa Pebbles Treats Recipe
- Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats Ingredients
- Substitutions and Additions
- How to Make Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
- Best Way To Spread The Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats Mixture
- Tips For Making The Best Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
- How to Store Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Other Easy Dessert Recipes
- Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
Cocoa Pebbles Rice Krispies Treats
Our Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats are easy to prepare in 5 minutes, with a delicious blend of crispy rice cereal and Cocoa Pebbles mixed with rich melted chocolate and gooey marshmallows.
What do you get when you prepare your chocolate rice krispie treats with chocolate chips AND Cocoa Pebbles? A double dose of decadence with perfect chewy, gooey, crunchy, buttery cereal base and plenty of melted chocolate and mini marshmallows mixed in!
Cocoa Rice Krispies may contain no cocoa powder, but they’re full of chocolate flavor that elevates simple marshmallow squares into the best-tasting chocolate rice krispie bars.
Why We Love This Cocoa Pebbles Treats Recipe
- Quick and easy to make in 5 minutes.
- Only uses 6 simple ingredients.
- Delicious chocolate twist on a childhood treat.
- There’s nothing better than biting into chocolate rice krispie squares that are not too sticky, yet are full of rich flavor with a satisfying crunch.
- Cocoa Pebbles Treats put a chocolatey spin on the standard rice krispies marshmallow squares.
- Perfect for after school snacks, packing in lunchboxes, potlucks, and dessert platters.
Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats Ingredients
- Rice Krispies: Any brand of crispy rice cereal can be used for this recipe, or for an even more chocolatey treat, you can substitute Cocoa Pebbles or another chocolate-flavored rice cereal.
- Cocoa Pebbles: Any brand of chocolate-flavored rice cereal will work. You can substitute plain crispy rice cereal for a less chocolatey treat.
- Salted butter: Unsalted butter can be used, but add extra salt for balance.
- Mini-marshmallows: You can use regular-sized marshmallows for the treats; instead, you will want a 10-ounce bag or about 40 marshmallows. Large marshmallows should only be mixed into the slightly cooled treats if chopped into smaller pieces.
- Sea salt: You can use table salt or omit this salt if desired.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips: Dark or milk chocolate chips can also be used.
Substitutions and Additions
- Choose Your Chip: I used semi-sweet chocolate chips in this recipe; however, you can also try milk chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips.
- Cereal Swap: Any brand of crispy rice cereal and chocolate-flavored rice cereal will work for this recipe. You can even use brown puffed rice, white puffed rice, Cocoa Krispies or Cocoa Pebbles. You can even make this a fruity pebbles treats recipe by using your favorite fruit-flavored krispies or Fruity Pebbles cereal.
- Make With Mix-Ins: Make your treats with mix-ins like chopped nuts, sprinkles, mini chocolate chips, or flavored extracts to make the treats even more unique and delicious.
- Customize Your Krispies: You can decorate your chocolate rice krispies squares for any holiday or special occasion. Top your treats with some green and red sprinkles for Christmas, colorful sprinkles for a birthday, and red and pink sprinkles for Valentine’s Day.
- Prepare With Peanut Butter: If you love the classic combination of chocolate and peanut butter, my Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats are a must-make!
How to Make Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
- Prepare Cereal Mixture: Mix Rice Krispies and Cocoa Pebbles in a large heat-safe bowl.
- Melt Marshmallows and Chocolate: Melt butter and 6 cups of mini marshmallows in a saucepan over low to medium-low heat, stirring constantly for about 5 minutes. Add 1 ½ cups of chocolate chips and sea salt, then continue cooking and stirring for an additional 2 minutes until fully melted and combined.
- Combine Mixtures: Pour the chocolate marshmallow mixture over the cereals and gently fold together. Use your hands when the mixture is cool to ensure even distribution.
- Add Extras and Set: Mix in 2 cups of mini marshmallows and ½ cup of chocolate chips. Press the mixture into a baking pan and allow it to cool completely for 30-60 minutes before cutting and serving.
Best Way To Spread The Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats Mixture
When pressing the Rice Krispie mixture into the pan, spray a piece of parchment paper with nonstick cooking spray and press down with the parchment paper. This prevents the mixture from sticking to your hands or a spatula.
Tips For Making The Best Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
- You can use regular-sized marshmallows instead of mini marshmallows for the treats. You will need a 10-ounce bag or about 40 marshmallows. Large marshmallows should only be mixed into the slightly cooled treats if chopped into smaller pieces.
- Ensure that your marshmallows are fresh and soft. Stale marshmallows may not melt properly, resulting in lumpy treats, or they may result in tough, hard-to-bite treats.
- Make sure to melt the marshmallows slowly when melting the marshmallows and butter. Use low to medium-low heat and stir constantly. This gentle, low heat prevents scorching and ensures a smooth and creamy texture. It also helps prevent overheating the marshmallows, leading to hard, rocky treats.
- Add chocolate chips at the right time — add a portion of the chocolate chips after the marshmallows have melted to create a rich and chocolatey base. Stir until the chocolate chips are completely melted and combined. Don’t add the chocolate until the butter and marshmallows have melted, or it may overheat and seize.
- When combining the chocolate mixture with the Rice Krispies and Cocoa Pebbles, it’s easier to achieve an even mixture using your hands instead of a spoon. Ensure the mixture has cooled to a touchable temperature before doing so.
- When transferring the mixture to the prepared baking pan, press it firmly using the back of a spatula or your hands. This helps create compact and well-formed treats. If not pushed firmly enough, they will fall apart when cut.
- Give the treats enough time to cool and set them completely before slicing them into squares. This ensures they hold their shape and are easier to handle.
How to Store Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
- To Store: Once cooled completely at room temperature, the Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats can be stored at room temperature for 3-4 days. If you need to store them for longer, you can refrigerate them for up to a week, though keep in mind that refrigeration might slightly alter the texture.
Other Easy Dessert Recipes
- Chocolate Lasagna
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup Pie
- Crockpot Candy
- Butter Mints
- Rainbow Rice Krispie Treats
- Watermelon Rice Krispie Treats
Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
- 4 cups Rice Krispies
- 4 cups Cocoa Pebbles
- ¼ cup (½ stick) salted butter
- 8 cups mini-marshmallows divided
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips divided
- Line a 9×13 inch baking pan with parchment paper or grease well and set to the side.
- Mix the Rice Krispies and Cocoa Pebbles in a large, heat-safe bowl and set aside for now.4 cups Rice Krispies, 4 cups Cocoa Pebbles
- Melt the salted butter and 6 cups of mini marshmallows in a large saucepan over low to medium-low heat, stirring constantly. Be sure the butter is put in the pan first, and do not increase the heat beyond medium-low.¼ cup (½ stick) salted butter, 8 cups mini-marshmallows
- Stir and heat for 5 minutes or until almost completely melted and smooth.
- Add 1 ½ cups of chocolate chips and the sea salt. Continue cooking and stirring for about 2 more minutes until everything is melted and combined.½ teaspoon sea salt, 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Pour the chocolate marshmallow mixture over the Rice Krispies and cocoa pebbles and gently fold together until completely combined. After the chocolate is cool to the touch, you should use your hands to finish mixing the treats, as it is easier to get an even mixture with your hands than with a spoon.
- Once the treats are well mixed and cooled slightly, sprinkle in 2 cups of the remaining mini-marshmallows and the remaining ½ cup of chocolate chips and gently distribute throughout the treats.
- Press everything into the prepared baking pan and allow the chocolate rice krispie treats to cool completely, about 30-60 minutes, before cutting into squares and serving.
- To Store: Store these treats, in a covered container, in the refrigerator for up to one week, or on the counter for up to 4 days.
- Do not add any more chocolate chips than what’s mentioned in the recipe or it will make the treats way too hard and difficult to bite.
- Move quickly when going through the steps as you want your marshmallow to stay hot and easily stirrable.
- I think the treats do best when left overnight. However, if you need to hurry things along, they should be fine within a couple hours, or once they’ve cooled.
- If you want to use a 9×13 pan, simply double the recipe or you’ll get thinner rice krispie treats.
- Be sure to press down on the sprinkles once you add them so they stick to the treats as they dry and don’t just fall off.
- If you are storing your peanut butter rice Krispie treats in the refrigerator, then I would allow them to come to room temperature before serving so that their texture is chewy and not hard.