This Blueberry Breakfast Cake (aka Blueberry Buckle) is packed full of delicious blueberries and finished off with a sweet, crumbly, homemade cinnamon streusel topping. It’s the perfect morning baked good to pair with your cup of coffee.
Blueberry Coffee Cake
Blueberry Coffee cake, Blueberry Buckle, or Blueberry Cake… no matter what you call this cake, one thing’s for sure: it’s absolutely delicious.
This is one of my favorite breakfasts to make, especially when we have company over. It’s always a hit with the kids and adults alike!
One of the reasons I love this recipe is that it only takes me a quick 10 minutes to prepare it. Then, I just pop it in the oven for about 30 minutes and in less than an hour I have my fresh baked breakfast cake.
Why We Love This Recipe
- Quick and easy to make
- Delicious, fruity breakfast
- Can make with a variety of berries
- Great breakfast for a group of people
- Can easily be made into a dessert dish
- The batter is simple, made using a box cake mix
- Short ingredients list with many pantry staples
- Yellow cake mix
- Vegetable oil
- Fresh blueberries
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Ground cinnamon
SEE FULL PRINTABLE RECIPE CARD BELOW
How to Make This Blueberry Breakfast Cake Recipe
Your blueberry cake will come together quickly and easily. The preparation only takes about 10 minutes and is as simple as mixing up all the ingredients and placing them in a pan to bake!
Whisk together cake mix, milk, eggs, and oil.
Coat blueberries in flour and fold them into the cake mix.
Pour the cake mix into a baking pan.
Mix sugar, flour, butter, and cinnamon to make streusel topping.
Sprinkle topping over the batter.
Bake for 30-35 minutes.
Pro-tip: Use the toothpick inserted into the center of the cake to test if it is done before taking it out of the oven. It’s best to let the cake cool completely before cutting it into pieces.
Variations / Options / Add-ins
- YELLOW CAKE MIX: This will also work with white cake mix or another of your choice.
- MILK: You can use whole milk, 2% milk, or buttermilk . If you don’t have milk available feel free to use water instead
- GRANULATED SUGAR: Brown sugar is a great replacement or this.
- SALTED BUTTER: If you use unsalted butter, you can add a pinch of salt to help cut through the sugar.
- BERRIES: This recipe is great with other berries as well. Try it with raspberries, cherrys, blackberries, or cranberries.
- ICE CREAM: To serve your blueberry breakfast cake as a dessert, serve it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the top. It’s delicious this way!
Frequently Asked Questions
You can store this at room temperature for up to 3-4 days if it is covered or stored in an airtight container. These will also keep in the freezer for several months.
This blueberry breakfast cake is similar to a coffee cake because it’s meant to be eaten with coffee in the morning (but I like to eat it any time of the day!). However, buckles specifically refer to cakes that are mixed with a fruit and have a streusel topping. So the common name for this is a Blueberry Buckle.
You can use frozen blueberries for this recipe, but if doing so, it’s best to let them thaw completely first. Then, use paper towels and pat them down to dry them off. You don’t want to have too much moisture added to your cake mix from the berries.
Other Easy Cake Recipes
Blueberry Breakfast Cake
- 1 15.25 ounce box yellow cake mix
- ⅓ cup whole or 2% milk
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
For Streusel Topping:
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp salted butter melted
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Prepare a 9×13 baking pan by spraying it with cooking spray. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the yellow cake mix, milk, eggs, vegetable oil. Mix well, but do not overmix.
- Lightly coat the blueberries in 2 Tablespoons of flour. Fold the blueberry flour mixture into the rest of the cake mix.
- Pour cake mix in the baking pan and spread the batter to the edges of the pan. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the sugar, flour, butter, and cinnamon together to form the streusel topping.
- Sprinkle the topping evenly over the batter in the baking pan.
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes. Check the cake with a toothpick to make sure it is completely cooked before taking it out of the oven.
- Let the cake cool before cutting and serving.
Sign up for the Princess Pinky Girl Newsletter and automatically receive our latest & greatest delivered right to your inbox! Follow Princess Pinky Girl on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the newest recipes, crafts, travels and updates!
If you make a Princess Pinky Girl creation make sure you take a picture and share it on Instagram with @princesspinkygirl ! I love seeing your masterpieces!