I hope you are sitting down for this one – Grandma Gail’s Ice Cream Cake. This is THE dessert that will get you invited back to every party! This is a staple for my good friend and pilates mate, Erica. She promised me that I could even make it – Erica walked me through how to make this scrumptious ice cream cake step-by-step. As many of you know, I am not the world’s greatest cook – but I kid you not, this is EASY to make and ridiculously amazing to eat!
Grandma Gail’s Ice Cream Cake
- 1 Sara Lee Family Size Pound Cake (16 oz.)
- 2 – 1.5 quart containers of ice cream – we used Edy’s Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough & Edy’s S’mores (Erika advises 1 chocolate based and one vanilla based for the “wow” factor when you slice into it!)
- 1 – 20 oz. jar hot fudge (I am personally biased towards Sanders Hot Fudge because it is hands down the best hot fudge ever! Click on this link to purchase – you won’t be sorry!)
- 1 – 8 oz. bag of crumbled Heath candy
You will need a head start with this recipe – you will want to make it the night before you need it so it has time to really get nice and frozen. Let the ice cream soften on the counter a bit (you don’t want it melted, just soft enough so you can spread it!) We also prefer a 9-inch spring form round pan (this will make getting it out a piece of cake – not pun intended!) – There are a ton out there but here is a link if you want to purchase. Wrap the bottom of the pan in tin foil to help catch any melting ice cream while preparing.
- Cut the cake into 1/2 inch slices.
- Layer the cake, on it’s side, along the bottom of the pan filing in as much as possible – minimize gaps.
- Take your first ice cream and layer the ice cream over the cake slices – use the entire container. Smooth and flatten.
- Divide the hot fudge in half and spread the first half over the ice cream into an even layer – cover all of the ice cream with the hot fudge.
- Divide the bag of heath into half and sprinkle the first half evenly over the hot fudge.
- Repeat steps 2-5.
- Cover the top of the cake with wax paper and seal with tin foil, put in freezer over night
- Slice, serve & enjoy!!