These Homemade Pop-Tarts are super quick and easy to make, and super delicious. The flaky pie crust, the gooey strawberry center, the sugary frosting and sprinkles.
How to Make Homemade Pop Tarts
With this Homemade Pop Tart Recipe everything is there, nothing is missing …. other than the extra ingredients that always accompany store bought foods.
Hello again Princess Pinky Girl readers! Serene here from House of Yumm. Do any of you have a fondness for a certain food? Maybe something that makes you think of being a kid? Maybe something that your mom used to make for you?
I love, love LOVE, strawberry Pop Tarts. Not for any reason in particular other than they bring me back to my childhood. Something about them brings me comfort. And apparently they don’t even necessarily need to be the store bought version. Thank goodness.
Our homemade Pop Tarts recipe, start out with pie crust, you can make your own if you have a favorite recipe, or if you’re pressed for time you can use store bought pie crusts also.
You will need to use two pie crusts if you’re using the store bought versions. And if you’re making your own crust recipe, again, you’ll need enough for two crusts.
After that it’s as simple as scooping some strawberry preserves, or whichever flavor you prefer, and placing another pie crust on top.
Seal it up, I ran water over the edge to help seal and prevent the filling from oozing out and then pressed it down with a fork for the fun design. A quick trip to the fridge to help them set, or you could even leave these in the fridge overnight and be super prepared in the morning to just pop them in the oven to bake.
There is nothing better than starting the day with some flaky pie crust and gooey strawberry filling. The frosting and sprinkles on the outside are not necessary, and you can always go without them if feeding to little ones you don’t want to pump up with sugar.
Homemade Pop Tart Recipe Flavors
We love the strawberry Pop Tarts, but there are tons of other yummy flavors and ingredients that you can fill your homemade Pop Tarts with! Here are a few of our favorites:
- Brown Sugar Cinnamon Filling – flour, brown sugar and cinnamon
- S’mores (my kids favorite) – chocolate spread and marshmallow fluff
- Chocolate chip cookie dough (use Jenn’s edible raw cookie dough recipe)
- Brownie Batter (use Jenn’s brownie dip recipe)
Get creative! The possibilities are really endless!
These Homemade Pop-Tarts are super quick and easy to make, and super delicious. The flaky crust, the gooey strawberry center, the sugary frosting and sprinkles.
- 2 pie crusts
- 10 tablespoons strawberry preserves
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 3 teaspoons milk
- 2-3 drops red food coloring
- Prepare pie crust as desired, or use store bought pie crusts. Roll out and cut into 10 rectangular pieces approximately 4 inches by 3 inches.
If using store bought pie crust you will need to cut out 4 rectangles, gather the scraps, roll out the dough and cut out the last rectangle. You can get 5 pieces from one store bought pie crust. Place 5 of the pie crusts onto a cookie sheet covered in parchment paper.
- Scoop approximately 2 tablespoons of strawberry preserves onto the top of one of the pie crust rectangles.
Dip your fingertips into some water and run it around the edge of the pie crust. Top with another pie crust rectangle.
Press the edges together, the water will help to seal it. Using the prongs of a fork press the edges together again and leave the design around the edges.
- Place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to help set and form, this helps prevent the filling from leaking out. Can be left covered in the refrigerator overnight as well to bake in the morning.
- Bake at 375 for approximately 15-17 minutes until crust is fully cooked.
- For the frosting mix the powdered sugar, milk, food coloring together. Add more sugar or milk to get to desired consistency.
- Top with sprinkles as desired. Enjoy!
Nutrition per serving
More Breakfast Recipes from House of Yumm:
Other easy desserts from Princess Pinky Girl:
Sign up for the Princess Pinky Girl Newsletter and automatically receive our latest & greatest delivered right to your inbox! Follow Princess Pinky Girl on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the newest recipes, crafts, travels and updates!
If you make a Princess Pinky Girl creation make sure you take a picture and share it on Instagram with @princesspinkygirl ! I love seeing your masterpieces!