Passover is here and it is not one of those holiday’s that I look forward to for the amazing food! However, one dish I do really love is Fried Matzo Brei. This is one of those things that I can eat even when it isn’t even Passover!
Fried Matzo Brei – an easy and traditional Jewish recipe for Passover
The problem, however, is I never made it – my mom always does! When my son, Joey, decided to keep Passover this year, he asked for me to make fried matzo brei – so what does a good mom do…. She asks HER mom how to make it! My mom always told me that there was nothing to making Fried Matzo Brei – well, she was right, it is super easy to make and believe it or not, mine came out just like hers!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE FRIED MATZO BREI
I do have a few other “go-to” Passover recipes – these Chocolate Chip Coconut Macaroons are seriously to die for! You will not want to wait for Passover to come to make them. They are only four ingredients and super easy to make – be sure to check them out! Also – this Passover Mandel Bread – another one from my mom and a family favorite!
Fried Matzo Brei
- 1 box Matzo you will only use 1/2-3/4 of the box
- 2-3 Eggs
- 2 tbsp Butter
- Break 1/2 – 3/4 box of matzah into small pieces
- Soak in water for 1 minute. Drain well
- Mix with 2-3 eggs
- Melt a small pad of butter on pan
- Add matzah and make a big pancake – cook on medium high heat
- Let cook for a few minutes (I like to press down with my spatula to get it crispy)
- Cut into quarters and put a pad of butter on each quarter and flip over
- Add some salt (if desired)
- Let cook for a few minutes (if you want it really crispy, just add additional butter as you cook it)
- Using spatula, break into small pieces
- Add a little more butter and let cook and crisp up, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with salt, butter, sugar, syrup (whatever you choose!)
- Save leftovers and reheat – they reheat great!!
Looking for more Passover recipes? Here are a few of my favorites:
Sign up for the Princess Pinky Girl Newsletter and automatically receive our latest & greatest delivered right to your inbox! Follow Princess Pinky Girl on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the newest recipes, crafts, travels and updates!
If you make a Princess Pinky Girl creation make sure you take a picture and share it on Instagram with @princesspinkygirl ! I love seeing your masterpieces!