Passover is here and it is not one of those holiday’s that I look forward to for the amazing food! However, one dish I do really love is Fried Matzah Brei. This is one of those things that I can eat even when it isn’t even Passover! The problem, however, is I never made it – my mom always does! When my son, Joey, decided to keep Passover this year, he asked for it – so what does a good mom do…. She asks HER mom how to make it!
My mom always told me that there was nothing to making Fried Matzah Brei – well, she was right, it is super easy to make and believe it or not, mine came out just like hers!
Here is what you need:
- 1/2 – 3/4 box Matzah
- 2-3 eggs
Here is what you do:
- Break 1/2 – 3/4 box of matzah into small pieces
- Soak in water for 1 minute
- Drain well
- Mix with 2-3 eggs
- Melt a small pad of butter on pan
- Add matzah and make a big pancake – cook on medium high heat
- Let cook for a few minutes (I like to press down with my spatula to get it crispy)
- Cut into quarters and put a pad of butter on each quarter and flip over
- Add some salt (if desired)
- Let cook for a few minutes (if you want it really crispy, just add additional butter as you cook it)
- Using spatula, break into small pieces
- Add a little more butter
- Let cook and crisp up, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with salt, butter, sugar, syrup (whatever you choose!)
- Save leftovers and reheat – they reheat great!!
Looking for more Passover recipes? Here are a few of my favorites:
Sign up for the Princess Pinky Girl Newsletter and automatically receive our latest & greatest delivered right to your inbox! Follow Princess Pinky Girl on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the newest recipes, crafts, travels and updates!
If you make a Princess Pinky Girl creation make sure you take a picture and share it on Instagram with @princesspinkygirl ! I love seeing your masterpieces!