This is by far the Best Tater Tot Casserole! This easy comfort food is more layering than actually cooking. Ground beef, cheese, cream of mushroom soup, frozen veggies, and of course, frozen tater tots!
Your family will go bonkers over this easy dinner recipe! It takes just 10 minutes to prepare and you will have dinner on the table in under an hour! Picky eater approved! Love casserole? Me too – check out our Dorito Taco Casserole and our Sloppy Joe Casserole.
Table of Contents
- The Best Tater Tot Casserole with Veggies
- Tater Tot Casserole with Veggies Recipe Ingredients
- How to make Tater Tot Casserole with Green Beans
- Best Tater Tot Casserole Tips
- How long to cook Tater Tot Casserole with Green Beans
- How to store Hamburger Tater Tot Casserole
- More Easy Casserole Recipes
- Tater Tot Casserole with Green Beans Recipe
The Best Tater Tot Casserole with Veggies
Nothing warms you from the inside out like a warm casserole on a cold evening! This particular tater tot casserole recipe has been passed down through my family for generations.
For such a simple recipe, it’s super filling and quite a healthy and complete meal when you break it down!
This great recipe is packed with potato in the tater tots so that’s your portion of starch. The lean ground beef is your healthy protein. Then you mix in your frozen veggies, and onion to get one of your five a day. The sprinkling of cheese counts as your portion of dairy and calcium so you’re all set and good to go!
Tater Tots are totally underrated! Our Tater Tot Nachos, also known as Totchos, is one of our favorite appetizers ever!
Tater Tot Casserole with Veggies Recipe Ingredients
Every single one of the ingredients used to make this tater tot casserole recipe is oh-so-simple but when you put them all together, they make something absolutely incredible.
- Ground beef
- Diced Onion
- Minced garlic
- Cream of mushroom soup
- Sour cream
- Worcestershire sauce
- Frozen mixed vegetables (I used a blend with green beans, carrots, peas, and corn)
- Shredded cheddar cheese (I prefer to use freshly shredded cheese rather than the pre shredded bagged cheese.
- Frozen tater tots
Feel free to add more or less veggies to make this recipe suit your family’s tastes. I use a blend with green beans, carrots, peas, and corn but you can use whichever mixture of veggies you like.
This casserole is great for hiding all kinds of veggies in to get the kids to eat their five a day!
See the printable ingredients and recipe below!
Best Tater Tot Casserole Substitutions
Protein: Lean ground beef isn’t for everyone, you can substitute it for ground turkey or ground chicken. Lean ground beef is healthy… But chicken and turkey are just a little bit healthier and less saturated fat.
Vegetarian: You can also go vegetarian using a meat substitute. We love this dish with Beyond Meat! You won’t even notice a difference.
How to make Tater Tot Casserole with Green Beans
There are only a few steps to making a tater tot casserole. You are basically dumping everything in a casserole dish and popping it in the oven!
Before you begin spray your 9 x 13 casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Step One: Cook the Beef
Using a large skilllet, brown the beef with the onion and garlic. Cook until the beef is no longer pink. Drain if needed.
Step Two: Add Remaining Ingredients
Mix in the soup, sour cream and Worchestershire sauce with the ground beef mixture. Next add the frozen vegetables.
Step Three: Layer in Casserole Dish
Place the ground beef mixture in your prepared baking dish and top with freshly shredded cheese and a layer of frozen tater tots. (save some cheese for the end)
Step Four: Bake
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. 5 minutes before done baking (around 40 minutes in), top with remaining cheese and bake for a few more minutes (about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted).
(For the full tater tot casserole recipe and step-by-step details, see the printable recipe card below)
Best Tater Tot Casserole Tips
- To get your tater tots nice and crispy on top, you want to do most of the baking without the final cheese topping. This will allow you to get those crispy tater tots on top! In the last 5 minutes add the cheese on top and bake it just until it is melted.
- Freshly shredded cheese is a game changer. I strongly recommend using fresh shredded cheese. It makes all of the difference in the end!
- Bake uncovered. You want the tater tots to get crispy and crunchy on top. If you cover your baking dish, they won’t be crispy.
How long to cook Tater Tot Casserole with Green Beans
Bake your tater tot casserole recipe for 45 minutes in the oven until the tater tots are golden brown and the cheese has melted. You should be aiming for a nice crunchy topping. Do not try to cook it faster by raising the temperature – the key here is a low and slow cook. I promise it will be worth the wait.
How to store Hamburger Tater Tot Casserole
To store Hamburger Tater Tot Casserole, allow it to cool completely, then cover tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and refrigerate for up to 3-4 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.
How to freeze Tater Tot Casserole with Green Beans
Place in a freezer-safe container or bag, and freeze for up to 3 months.
Best way to reheat Cheesy Tater Tot Casserole
The best way to reheat Cheesy Tater Tot Casserole is to preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C), cover the casserole with aluminum foil to prevent drying out, and bake for 20-30 minutes, or until heated through and cheese is melted.
Can this Easy Tater Tot Casserole be made ahead?
Tater Tot Casserole can be made ahead by assembling the ingredients in the casserole dish, covering it tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil, and refrigerating it for up to 24 hours before baking as directed in the recipe.
More Easy Casserole Recipes
Tater Tot Casserole with Green Beans
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables I used a blend with green beans, carrots, peas, and corn
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese freshly shredded, divided
- 32- ounce bag frozen tater tots
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet cook ground beef, onion, and garlic until beef is cooked through. Drain if needed.
- Add cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, and Worcestershire sauce to the ground beef and mix thoroughly.
- Stir in vegetables.
- Place the beef and vegetable mixture in the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. Top with 4 oz of freshly shredded cheddar cheese.
- Place frozen tater tots, in a single layer, on top of the cheese layer. Depending on the size/shape of your dish, you may have some leftover.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and top with remaining 4 oz freshly shredded cheddar cheese. Bake for another 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted
- Serve warm