I totally missed the boat and didn’t post this in time for 4th of July – but not to worry!!!! This is perfect for Labor Day!! Not to mention, this delicious pound cake is perfect all year round! Thanks, Diane, for sharing all of your wonderful recipes on Princess Pinky Girl!
Good Morning! I am Diane from Recipes For Our Daily Bread. I am excited to share our family’s favorite cake with Princess Pinky Girl readers. We call it Caleb’s Pound Cake.
Why Caleb’s Pound Cake?
Caleb is my special needs son. I started baking with him before he could walk. Baking was a fun activity to help Caleb with his memory. He had a brain bleed at birth. Due to his bleed, he has a shunt that keeps him alive. It has failed 17 times causing him to have 17 emergency brain surgeries. We began making pound cakes using a simple recipe that he could remember including three cups of butter, sugar, and flour. Over his 19 years, he has helped to make a lot of pound cakes which developed into the super moist, delicious pound cake we have today.
We used this basic pound cake recipe to create a luscious lemon pound cake and best praline pound cake with praline sauce. Every time Caleb hears the oven timer go off for his pound cake, he gets excited and races around the house chanting “Ready.” He grins from ear to ear and cannot wait to share what he helped to create. Due to process problems, he rarely speaks. I get excited to hear his voice and to hear him get excited over his pound cake.
I often get asked, “What is the secret to super moist pound cake”?
We have been baking pound cakes almost 20 years. After lots of practice testing the cake using sour cream, buttermilk, butter and or shortening, I finally arrived at this incredibly moist and delicious pound cake. I use a combination of all of these products. I find they all have a role to play in creating the perfect pound cake.
Patriotic Pound Cake
I used our basic pound cake recipe to make this Patriotic Pound Cake by adding 1/2 cup of patriotic sprinkles in the batter. I also melted some Red, White, and Blue Candy Wafers in separate bowls and added to the top of the cake. The cake was then topped off with additional patriotic sprinkles. The perfect dessert to celebrate this summer.
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks), softened
- ½ cup butter flavoring shortening
- 3 cups of sugar
- 5 eggs
- ¾ cup of sour cream
- 1 TB butter flavoring
- 2 TB pure vanilla extract
- One teaspoon salt
- One teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 6 ounces of each Candy Wafers, Red, White & Blue, melted
- 1/2 Patriotic Sprinkles for batter plus additional to decorate the top of cake.
- With an electric mixer, cream together 1 cup butter (2 sticks), softened and ½ cup butter flavoring shortening.
- Add 3 cups of sugar to the creamed butter and shortening.
This is a significant step. Cream these ingredients for 3 to 5 minutes until it is nice and fluffy.
- Add 5 eggs one at a time just until the egg yolks disappear. About 1 to 2 minutes.
- Blend in 3/4 cup sour cream.
- Add 1 TB butter flavoring and 2 TB pure vanilla extract.
Next, add one teaspoon salt and one teaspoon baking powder to the mixture.
- Alternate the 3 cups all-purpose flour with ¾ cup buttermilk just until blended.
- Gently stir in sprinkles
- Place in a large pound cake pan that has been sprayed with Pam Baking spray.
- Preheat oven 325 degrees
- Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Insert a toothpick in the center of the cake to check for doneness.
- Allow the cake to cool completely about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Melt the candy wafers according to package in separate bowls.
- Add to the top of cake with additional sprinkles.
Sign up for the Princess Pinky Girl Newsletter and automatically receive our latest & greatest delivered right to your inbox! Follow Princess Pinky Girl on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the newest recipes, crafts, travels and updates!
If you make a Princess Pinky Girl creation make sure you take a picture and share it on Instagram with @princesspinkygirl ! I love seeing your masterpieces!