Table of Contents
These Huevos Rancheros are one of my favorite easy breakfasts that look impressive but are super easy to make.
Hey guys, this is Lauren visiting again from Tastes Better From Scratch. I hope you enjoyed the holidays, and I really hope you were able to try the Salted Chocolate Covered Caramels I shared last month.
I’ve had more than my fair share of sweets over the last two weeks and I’m ready for some “lighter” food! These Huevos Rancheros are one of my favorite easy breakfasts that look impressive but are super easy to make. Plus, they’re on the lighter side, so everyone can feel full and happy. If you’ve never heard of Huevos Rancheros they are a popular Mexican style breakfast. A white corn tortilla topped with a thin layer of refried beans, salsa, and egg. Some people add cheese on top, but I like to add some fresh avocado and cilantro.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ½ of an onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic pressed or finely minced
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 14.5 ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 (4ocan diced green chiles
- 6 small white corn tortillas
- 1 ½ cups refried beans heated
- 6 eggs over easy or fried
- ½ cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 avocado chopped
- Add olive oil to a medium sized skillet over medium heat. Add onion and saute for a few minutes. Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Stir in cumin, salt and pepper. Add the entire can of fire-roasted tomatoes (including juiceand diced green chiles and bring mixture to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and set aside. Taste and add more seasonings, to taste.
- Heat a clean non-stick skillet. Spray lightly with non-stick spray. Heat tortillas, one at a time, for about 1 minute on each side. Spread a spoonful of warm refried beans on each tortilla. Spoon salsa over the beans and top with a fried egg. Garnish with chopped cilantro and avocados.