If you love Oreo cookies – then you need to try these homemade Oreos. They’re soft and chewy with cream cheese frosting, insanely delicious, and super easy to make because we’re using cake mix.
Homemade Oreos are a quick and easy cookie recipe that everyone loves. They start with two fudgy, extra soft chocolate cookies – then they’re sandwiched together with tangy cream cheese frosting. These homemade Oreos are made with Devil’s food cake cake mix – so you can whip up a batch in no time.
Ps – my name’s Fiona and I blog over at Just So Tasty. I love sharing easy recipes for desserts and everything sweet, so these cake mix Oreo cookies seemed like the perfect thing to share here on Princess Pinky Girl.
I absolutely love Oreo cookies, and I love baking with them. Whether it’s making these incredible no bake Oreo bars, peanut butter Oreo cookie bars, or marshmallow Oreo brownies – I don’t think you can go wrong with an Oreo dessert.
But I had never made homemade Oreos before until now. So I was so excited to make these and share them with you.
Ingredients You Need to Make Homemade Oreos
To make these cookies – there’s only a few ingredients that you need:
- A box of Devils food cake cake mix
- vegetable or canola oil
- cream cheese
- powdered sugar
- a little milk or cream
The recipe will make about 24 individual cookies, and therefore about 12 sandwiches after they’re made into the Oreos. So if you need more cookies – you can easily double the recipe too.
Looking for some other fun desserts to make with the kids? These Chocolate Frosted Baked Donuts, note… BAKED DONUTS…. will be a new family favorite!
How to Make Homemade Oreo Cookies
Making these cookies couldn’t be easier. They’re extra soft, fudgy and completely delicious with the cream cheese filling.
To make the cookies – mix together the Devil’s food cake, oil and 2 eggs. You can use other varieties of chocolate cake too – but I preferred the flavor of Pillsbury Devil’s food cake the best.
Then form the dough into balls, place on a lined cookie sheet and flatten down the middle so there’s a little indent in the middle. I found the cookies can rise too much otherwise, so flattening them down was necessary. Then pop them in the oven to bake.
The filling is made by beating together butter and a little cream cheese until smooth. Then mixing in powdered sugar along with the cream or milk.
You could sub the butter for margarine or shortening if that’s all you have on hand. And if you don’t like cream cheese frosting – use 100% butter instead of butter and cream cheese.
The combo of creamy frosting with the soft, fudgy chocolate cookies is seriously to die for. And whether you’re an Oreo lover or not – these you definitely need to try these easy homemade Oreo cookies.
If you’re looking for other easy cake mix recipes, be sure to try these other favorites:
- 1 15 oz box of Devil's food cake mix
- 1/3 cup oil , canola or vegetable
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup butter , softened
- 3 oz cream cheese
- 1.5 - 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1-2 tbsp cream or milk
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees and line cookie sheets with parchment paper or baking mats.
- In a large bowl beat together the cake mix, oil and eggs using an electric mixer.
- Form the dough into balls about 1 tablespoon in size, place 2 inches apart on the lined cookie sheets and flatten down the middle of each cookie.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 8-10 minutes or until the tops look set.
- Allow to cool on the sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack using a spatula.
- Beat together the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Mix in the powdered sugar about 1/2 cup at a time until the desired sweetness is reached.
- Then beat in the cream or milk 1 tablespoon at a time to get the desired consistency.
- Frost the bottom of one cookie and the place a second cookie on top. Repeat with the rest of the cookies.
Sign up for the Princess Pinky Girl Newsletter and automatically receive our latest & greatest delivered right to your inbox! Follow Princess Pinky Girl on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the newest recipes, crafts, travels and updates!
If you make a Princess Pinky Girl creation make sure you take a picture and share it on Instagram with @princesspinkygirl ! I love seeing your masterpieces!