This Ground Beef Stroganoff is easy to make, budget friendly and ready in under 30 minutes! Lean hamburger meat and sautéed mushrooms are smothered in a creamy mushroom gravy and served over egg noodles. This simple and hearty stroganoff recipe is the perfect weeknight meal!
Some nights you just need one of those comfort food dinners. That’s why this beef stroganoff recipe is such a family favorite (especially in the winter). Some of our other favorite comfort foods are our mozzarella stuffed meatballs and of course, our copycat Olive Garden Fettuccini Alfredo (OMG YUM!)
Easy Beef Stroganoff
Some nights you need some comfort food and beef stroganoff
Hi, I am back! This is Kathy from Lemon Blossoms and this creamy pasta dish is one of our favorite comfort foods.
I love quick ground beef recipes, they always come to the rescue – especially on busy weeknights. Even if I had a hectic and busy day, I know I can make a delicious homemade meal like this Ground Beef Stroganoff in no time!
The amazing flavor of classic beef stroganoff made quicker thanks to hamburger meat? Yes please!
This ground beef stroganoff recipe is made from scratch with fresh ingredients. You won’t believe how easy it is to get this dinner on the table!
The silky, creamy and rich mushroom and sour cream sauce is simple yet incredibly delicious. A comfort food dish you will be making over and over again.
For this stroganoff recipe, I use white mushrooms but you can also use cremini or portobello mushrooms. You can also substitute the hamburger meat with ground chicken, ground turkey and even ground pork.
How To Make Ground Beef Stroganoff
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef until no longer pink. Season the hamburger meat with salt, pepper and dried thyme.
- Transfer the beef to a bowl. Since I use lean ground beef, I don’t need to drain any excess fat. However, if you do – drain the fat before transferring the meat to a bowl.
- In the same skillet, melt the butter and saute the onions, garlic and mushrooms.
- Stir in the flour and cook for about a minute. We want to get rid of any raw flour taste!
- Stir in half the broth. When incorporated, add the remaining broth, Dijon mustard and Worcestershire sauce.
- Return the beef to the skillet and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and and let the mixture simmer.
- At this point, you can start cooking your noodles!
- To add creaminess and the distinctive taste of beef stroganoff, add the sour cream and simmer for a few minutes. Make sure the sauce doesn’t boil after adding the sour cream!
- Adjust the seasoning to your taste and serve over hot noodles. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and you are ready for dinner!
Want to bring this Ground Beef Stroganoff to new heights of deliciousness and decadence? Butter the egg noodles right after draining them. Then pour the creamy Stroganoff on top and enjoy!
Ground Beef Stroganoff
This Ground Beef Stroganoff is easy to make, budget friendly and ready in under 30 minutes! Lean hamburger meat and sauteed mushrooms are smothered in a creamy mushroom gravy and served over egg noodles. This simple and hearty stroganoff recipe is the perfect weeknight meal!
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces egg noodles for serving
- Chopped parsley for garnish
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef, season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the dried thyme and cook, breaking the beef into small pieces with a wooden spoon until well browned and no longer pink. Transfer the beef to a bowl (drain any excess fat, if needed).
Reduce the heat to medium. In the same skillet, add the butter. When the butter is completely melted, add the onions and saute for about 2 minutes minutes. Add the garlic and cook for about a minute. Add the mushrooms and cook for 2 - 3 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Add half the broth while stirring. Once incorporated, add the remaining broth, the Dijon mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Return the ground beef to the skillet and bring to a boil.
- Cook the egg noodles according to package directions.
Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for about 6 minutes. Add the sour cream and simmer on low heat for about 2 - 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. Adjust salt and pepper to taste
- Serve over hot egg noodles garnished with chopped parsley.
If you are not using lean ground beef, you may need to drain the excess fat after browning the meat.
Nutrition per serving
Sign up for the Princess Pinky Girl Newsletter and automatically receive our latest & greatest delivered right to your inbox! Follow Princess Pinky Girl on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the newest recipes, crafts, travels and updates!
If you make a Princess Pinky Girl creation make sure you take a picture and share it on Instagram with @princesspinkygirl ! I love seeing your masterpieces!