This fruit salad recipe is light and tangy, the perfect side or snack for a summer day. A delicious blend of pineapple, strawberries, blueberries, mango, and kiwi, plus a sweet homemade Honey Lime dressing with just a touch of coconut!
Rainbow Fruit Salad with Honey Lime Dressing
I don’t know about you, but for our family fruit salads are a summer favorite! Whether it’s a mango salad, berry salad, or this incredible pineapple salad. We just can’t get enough fresh fruit. It’s such a great healthy snack and also makes a perfect dish to pass at picnics, barbecues, or potlucks!
This easy fruit salad recipe only takes about 15-20 minutes to put together and the homemade fruit salad dressing is seriously to die for. It takes this tropical fruit salad to a whole new level. If you’re looking for a fun new twist on a classic fruit salad, you will love this recipe!
Why We Love This Recipe
- Quick and easy to make
- Homemade honey-lime dressing with a hint of coconut
- Kid-friendly and approved
- Healthy snack or side dish
- Perfect for summertime bbqs or potlucks
- Much cheaper than a store bought fruit salad
- Mint leaves
- Coconut milk
- Lime juice & zest
- Vanilla extract
- Hemp or chia seeds
SEE FULL PRINTABLE RECIPE CARD BELOW
How to Make Fruit Salad
This easy fruit salad comes together in just 4 simple steps. The homemade honey-lime salad dressing is so easy to make! It should only take about 20 minutes or less to put this entire rainbow fruit salad together.
Whisk together coconut milk, honey, lime juice and zest, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon.
Mix together all of your cut fruit.
Pro-tip: If you hate cutting up your own fruit, you could purchase pre-cut fruit at the store. This would also save time when prepping the recipe. So, it’s a good option if you are in a rush! However, if you do this, keep in mind that you won’t be able to serve the salad inside the pineapple.
Pour the dressing mixture over the fruit and toss to coat the fruit pieces.
Serve in a pineapple shell with optional garnishes or a large serving bowl.
Variations / Options / Add-ins
- COCONUT MILK: I used the canned coconut milk, but you can also use refrigerated coconut milk, heavy cream, or even evaporated milk.
- HONEY: If you don’t have honey on hand you can use agave nectar or even sugar but honey gives the best flavor.
- LIME JUICE AND ZEST: For this salad a fresh lime is best but if necessary you can use concentrated lime juice and substitute 2 extra Tablespoons of lime juice for the zest.
- VANILLA: Pure or imitation extract can be used.
- STRAWBERRIES: Any of the fruit can be mixed and matched to fit your personal preference.
- KIWI: The kiwi can be replaced with ½ cup red or green grapes.
- GARNISH: An optional garnish could be mint leaves or a sprinkle of hemp or chia seeds.
Frequently Asked Questions
Cut fruit does not last long at room temperature. Put fruit salad in the refrigerator in an airtight container within 2 hours of making it, or preferably any time you’re not eating it. It will last for 3 or 4 days in the refrigerator but is best eaten immediately. If it develops an “off” smell or appearance, or if it looks like mold has appeared, discard without tasting first.
Leaving the top and bottom on a fresh pineapple, very carefully cut it in half lengthwise with a very sharp knife. Carve the inside flesh away from the skin, hollowing out the pineapple shell so the salad can be served in it. Discard the pineapple core and cut the rest of the pineapple into chunks to add to the salad. Each half will hold 2 ½ cups of fruit, depending on the size of the pineapple.
The best way to cut a pineapple is to first, cut off the top and bottom, so the pineapple can sit flat on a cutting board. Next, slowly slice the sides of the pineapple to cut off the skin. Then, cut around the hard middle (it’s a sort of a square shape). Finally, dice the pineapple into pieces.
After making this fruit salad many times, I find that this is the best way to cut a pineapple. While there are a few ways to do it, this is my way! Quick note: it works best if you use a super sharp knife! The more you practice this, the easier it gets!
Other Easy Recipes Using Fresh Fruit
Pineapple Fruit Salad
- 1 cup coconut milk very well-shaken
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tbsp lime juice (~ ½ lime)
- 1 tsp lime zest (~ ½ lime)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups fresh pineapple core discarded, cut into chunks
- 1½ cups strawberries chopped (cut then measure)
- ½ cup blueberries
- 1 firm, ripe mango peeled and cubed
- 1 kiwi fruit peeled, sliced (each slice cut in fourths)
- Mint leaves, optional garnish
- Hemp or chia seeds optional garnish
- To make the dressing, whisk together coconut milk, honey, lime juice, lime zest, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside for now.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the pineapple, strawberries, blueberries, mango and kiwi.
- Pour the dressing over the fruit and toss.
- Serve in a pineapple shell, optional.
- Garnish with mint leaves or a sprinkle of hemp or chia seeds, optional.
- Serve. This salad is best eaten immediately.
Sign up for the Princess Pinky Girl Newsletter and automatically receive our latest & greatest delivered right to your inbox! Follow Princess Pinky Girl on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the newest recipes, crafts, travels and updates!
If you make a Princess Pinky Girl creation make sure you take a picture and share it on Instagram with @princesspinkygirl ! I love seeing your masterpieces!