A mini chocolate covered caramel apple that’s totally acceptable to enjoy as a nutritious snack
Hi Princess Pinky Girl readers, it’s Brianne again from Cupcakes & Kale Chips bringing you some healthy snacks. When fall rolls around, are you on Team Apple or Team Pumpkin? Or do you stick with one of the dark horses, like pear or cranberry? Truth be told, I’m kind of a chocolate and peanut butter all year kinda gal, but even I like to switch it up every now and then. And I love snacking on apples. But even better is when you take that nice, healthy apple and drown it in all kinds of caramel and fudge and candy so that you’ve completely negated any potential nutritional value you might get out of the apple.
Now as much as I love eating a treat like that, it certainly isn’t something I can do everyday. Nor is it something I can really pack in my boys’ lunchboxes. But these are certainly lunchbox-worthy…
I literally think there was a visible lightbulb above my head when I came up with the idea for Chocolate Dipped Caramel Apple Energy Balls. I had bought a bunch of dried apples and was thinking about how I could change up one of my most popular energy balls recipes, my Cinnamon Caramel Apple Energy Balls, and I thought it might be fun to transform it into a mini chocolate covered caramel apple that’s totally acceptable to enjoy as a nutritious snack. And as a bonus, not only are the gluten free, but you can also use vegan chocolate and skip the little dip in crushed peanuts to make them into a treat that almost anyone can enjoy! Plus they are super simple and super yummy!
Chocolate Dipped Caramel Apple Energy Balls
- ½ cup pitted dates
- 1 cup dried apples not freeze dried, these are the chewy ones
- ½ cup uncooked oats
- Pretzel sticks cut straws, or appetizer picks
- 1 oz . high quality dark chocolate
- a few tablespoons chopped pecans optional
- Combine the dates, dried apples, and oats in a food processor or high powered blender and process until it forms a thick paste.
- Using about a tablespoon of the mixture, roll into balls. Press a pretzel stick, straw, or appetizer pick into each ball and stand up each ball.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave or in a bowl set over a pot of simmering water.
- Dip each ball into melted chocolate, and, if desired, chopped peanuts, then set on wax paper to cool and harden.
- Store in an airtight container.
Here are a few energy ball recipes filled with fall flavors…
Sign up for the Princess Pinky Girl Newsletter and automatically receive our latest & greatest delivered right to your inbox! Follow Princess Pinky Girl on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the newest recipes, crafts, travels and updates!
If you make a Princess Pinky Girl creation make sure you take a picture and share it on Instagram with @princesspinkygirl ! I love seeing your masterpieces!