These Cheesy Meatball Subs are so easy to make and delicious. I baked the meatballs in the oven and tossed them in the slow cooker with homemade Spaghetti Sauce.
Hello, My name is Diane Roark. I blog at Recipes For Our Daily Bread and Our American Travels. Each month I look forward to sharing one of my family’s favorite recipes here at Princess Pinky Girl. With my busy family, I am always making family friendly easy recipes. I am thankful to have a chance to share one of my recipes with you today. I hope you enjoy these Cheesy Meatball Subs.
I make these Cheesy Meatball Subs especially for my youngest daughter, Diana, who will be 13 this summer. She loves everything made with red sauce including marinara pasta, pizza, spaghetti, and more. She is only weighs seventy-five pounds, but can eat two of these subs and claims they are the best sandwich ever. No! We are not Italian, and neither is Diana. She was adopted from Eastern Europe. She simply loves her Italian food including these Cheesy Meatball Subs.
I enjoy making these Cheesy Meatball Subs because they are pretty easy to make. I use an ice cream scoop to place the meatballs on a baking sheet. When the meatballs are done, I place them in my homemade Spaghetti sauce in my slow cooker. They stay warm for when you are ready to make your Cheesy Meatball Subs. I let everyone build their own meatball sub on a soft hoagie roll or even a hot dog bun. My kids have always enjoyed preparing their plate even when they were younger. Diana especially enjoys building a Cheesy Meatball sub. She simply adds some Mozzarella cheese on the bottom of the sub. Next, she adds the meatballs with the spaghetti sauce. She then tops it off with more Mozzarella cheese.
These meatballs and spaghetti sauce are perfect over pasta too, or I have even mixed the pasta in with the sauce. I have never tried adding my uncooked pasta to the slow cooker, but I plan on trying it soon. I will let you know if it works.
Cheesy Meatball Subs
- 2 pounds of ground beef
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- Sub Rolls
- Mozzarella cheese
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- 1 tbsp minced garlic clove
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 3 cups water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 bay leafs
- 2 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- Add all ingredients to a slow cooker.
- Cook on low at least 3 to 4 hours.
- While sauce is cooking, mix together the ground beef, Parmesan cheese, pepper, salt, bread crumbs, and eggs.
- Use an ice cream scoop and place the meatballs on a large baking sheet that has been lightly sprayed with a cooking spray.
- Bake the meatballs at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Remove the meatballs from the oven and place them into the slow cooker with spaghetti sauce.
- Continue cooking the 3 to 4 hours.
- Add a layer of Mozzarella cheese to the bottom of the sub roll.
- Add the meatballs and spaghetti sauce on top of the Mozzarella cheese.
- Add additional cheese on top of the meatballs.
Do you have any easy recipes you can share with me that include red sauce? My daughter Diana would love a new recipe. Do you have a favorite Sub sandwich?
- Use an ice cream scoop to make perfect meatballs every time.
- Remove bay leaf from your spaghetti sauce before adding the meatballs.
- You can brown the meatballs in a skillet on top of the stove using a couple tablespoons of vegetable oil instead of browning the meatballs in the oven. After browning the meatballs on all sides, add them to the slow cooker filled with spaghetti sauce.
Sign up for the Princess Pinky Girl Newsletter and automatically receive our latest & greatest delivered right to your inbox! Follow Princess Pinky Girl on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the newest recipes, crafts, travels and updates!
If you make a Princess Pinky Girl creation make sure you take a picture and share it on Instagram with @princesspinkygirl ! I love seeing your masterpieces!