This Apple Crisp Granola recipe brings all the elements of that favorite fall dessert into a nutritious breakfast topper or snack.
Hi everyone, it’s Brianne from Cupcakes & Kale Chips bringing you another recipe this month. I have to say, one of the bad things about social media, and especially one of the bad things about being a food blogger on social media is weekend breakfast. You see, all the time people are posting pictures of their stacks of pancakes, piles of waffles, fluffy omelets, and gooey cinnamon rolls. I’m all like, yay for plain oatmeal, and hey kids, here’s some yogurt and fruit for you. I could give you lots of reasons. Saturday mornings I want to sleep in or get up and get started on chores or start getting the family ready for an outing. My kids want breakfast the minute they wander downstairs and if I try to make something, they just hang on me and whine versus trying to be helpful or going and playing. My brain doesn’t start processing recipe-following the second I wake up (refer back to my previous point about the boys wanting breakfast to appear instantly). And then I see people posting pancakes decorated to look like Olaf or Yoda and I feel like a pretty lame excuse for a food blogger mama.
Luckily they love their bowls of yogurt and fruit, and they love it even more when I have some “crunchy stuff” around to add on top, like this…
This Apple Crisp Granola recipe brings all the elements of that favorite fall dessert into a nutritious breakfast topper or snack. You’ve got double apple flavor from applesauce and dried apples, lots of oat-y, nutty crunch, and the perfect hint of cinnamon. White chocolate chips add a little sweet vanilla burst, since the granola itself is not overly sweet. And of course granola is the perfect place to sneak in a little superfood goodness with some ground flax seed. It takes just minutes to mix up, and then you get to enjoy those rich aromas wafting from your oven. But let it cool before you add those chips so they don’t melt, and then start munching away!
- ¼ cup neutral oil such as avocado or canola, or melted coconut oil
- 1 egg white
- ½ cup applesauce
- ¼ cup coconut or brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon allspice
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- ¼ cup ground flax seed meal
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup chopped dried apples
- ¼ cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with a silicone baking sheet or parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, egg white, apple sauce, sugar, vanilla, salt, and spice.
- In a large bowl, toss together the oats, flax seed meal, and walnuts.
- Pour the wet mixture over the oats mixture, and toss to combine.
- Spread granola on the prepared baking sheet, and spread into an even layer.
- Bake 350°F for 15 minutes. Stir gently, being careful not to break up large clumps.
- Bake for another 10-15 minutes, or until golden and dry. Cool on the baking sheet.
- Once completely cool, sprinkle the dried apples and white chocolate chips over the top and transfer to an airtight container.
Here are a few more of my favorite granola recipes…
Sign up for the Princess Pinky Girl Newsletter and automatically receive our latest & greatest delivered right to your inbox! Follow Princess Pinky Girl on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the newest recipes, crafts, travels and updates!
If you make a Princess Pinky Girl creation make sure you take a picture and share it on Instagram with @princesspinkygirl ! I love seeing your masterpieces!