Alabama White Sauce is a tangy and creamy white barbecue sauce that will perfectly complete the grilled items in your summer BBQ spread. This classic southern favorite has a mayonnaise base and is perfect for smoked chicken or other barbecue and adds just the right kick of heat!
Homemade White BBQ Sauce
Is your family a condiment family? What I mean by that, is do you tend to have about 5-10 condiments sitting out for dinners, potlucks, and barbecues? We are definitely guilty of this in my house. But, I truly believe that the perfect condiment can totally complete a dish.
One sauce that you definitely need to add to your summer spread is this Alabama White Sauce. It’s a tangy, peppery white barbeque sauce that has a bit of a punch because of the addition of Horseradish. It’s so good on wings, grilled chicken, burgers, or even used as a dipping sauce!
Why We Love This Recipe
- Only 5 minutes to prepare
- Better than a store-bought bbq sauce
- Delicious tangy flavor with a little kiss of heat
- Awesome dipping sauce
- Great to toss with grilled chicken wings
- Alternative to traditional BBQ sauce
- Another option for a condiment at your summer barbecues
- Apple cider vinegar
- Granulated sugar
- Spicy brown mustard
- Worcestershire sauce
- Kosher salt & black pepper
- Garlic & onion powders
SEE FULL PRINTABLE RECIPE CARD BELOW
How to Make Alabama White Sauce Recipe
Once you see how easy it is to make Alabama White Sauce, it will be something you always have in the fridge. There are only 2 steps in the instructions, and this tasty sauce is prepared in just about 5 minutes.
Whisk together all of the ingredients until smooth.
Transfer sauce into a mason jar with a lid and refrigerate before serving.
Pro-tip: To save time and dishes, you can add all the ingredients directly to your mason jar. Just make sure to mix it really well before putting on the lid and refrigerating it.
Variations / Options / Add-ins
- VINEGAR, SUGAR, HORSERADISH: You can adjust the amounts of the vinegar, sugar and prepared horseradish according to your taste adding a little more or less.
- HOT SAUCE: You can also add a few dashes of your favorite hot sauce if you like your sauce a little more on the hot and spicy side.
- PAPRIKA: If you want a little more of a “smoky” flavor, you can add a ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika to your spice ingredients for this sauce.
Frequently Asked Questions
Alabama White Sauce is a white barbecue sauce with mayonnaise as its base, as opposed to a tomato base. However, unlike a traditional barbecue sauce, Alabama White sauce is not sweet. It has a tangy, peppery flavor and a bite that comes from the addition of horseradish. It’s a delicious alternative to traditional BBQ sauce. At our house, we love to have both on hand at all times!
Store sauce tightly covered in a lidded jar, a mason jar works great, in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Do not freeze this sauce. The mayonnaise will separate when it thaws and it will completely lose its texture. This is best served fresh and cold.
You can serve Alabama White Sauce with anything that you’d normally serve BBQ sauce with. It’s delicious on burgers, pulled pork, or used as a marinade for various meats. I especially love to put it on my Grilled Chicken Wings.
Alabama White sauce got its name from its originator, Robert Gibson from Big Bob Gibson’s Bar-B-Q in Decatur, AL.
More Great Homemade Condiments
Alabama White Sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp spicy brown mustard
- 2 tsp prepared horseradish
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together all the above listed ingredients. Make sure there are no lumps from the mayonnaise.
- Transfer sauce to a pint sized mason jar, or any container with a lid, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour prior to using to allow all the flavor to blend well.
Sign up for the Princess Pinky Girl Newsletter and automatically receive our latest & greatest delivered right to your inbox! Follow Princess Pinky Girl on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the newest recipes, crafts, travels and updates!
If you make a Princess Pinky Girl creation make sure you take a picture and share it on Instagram with @princesspinkygirl ! I love seeing your masterpieces!