This Taco Pie recipe combines everything you love about tacos into a layered dish, that’s ready in under 30 minutes! It’s like a Mexican lasagna that’s kid-approved, easy to make, and perfect for those busy weeknights.
Easy Taco Pie With Tortillas
Taco night at our house has a fun new twist with this taco pie recipe! I like to describe it kind of like a Mexican style lasagna or a tortilla pie, with layers of seasoned ground beef, melted cheese, and warm soft flour tortillas. It’s a delicious way to enjoy the beloved flavors of a classic taco.
It’s so easy to make this dish, and creates a lot less mess than traditional tacos. I love that I can put it all together in just 25 minutes. It makes this the perfect dinner for a busy night at home and still allows us to sit around the table for a delicious family meal. One that we can all agree on!
Why We Love This Recipe
- Quick and easy to make
- A simple weeknight dinner
- A unique way to enjoy taco night
- Less than 30 minutes total prep and cook time
- Simple ingredients list
- Top it off with all your favorite taco toppings
- Great for leftovers
- Can be frozen for an easy freezer meal
- Ground beef
- Bell peppers (I like green, but any color will work!)
- Red onion
- Garlic (fresh cloves or jarred)
- Taco seasoning
- Flour tortillas
- Shredded cheddar cheese
How to Make Taco Pie
This recipe is so easy and comes together quickly. The preparations take just 15 minutes of cooking and layering the ingredients. Followed by just 10 minutes of baking in the oven!
Brown the ground beef, adding in the onions, bell peppers, and garlic to cook. Add taco seasoning and salsa, and heat through.
Place tortillas on a baking sheet and add ½ meat mixture on top, followed by cheese.
Repeat layers again one time. Finish with one layer of tortillas, sprinkled with cheese.
Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
Serve warm with your favorite toppings!
Variations / Options / Add-ins
- SALSA: Use your favorite salsa for this recipe! If you like spicy, use hotter salsa. If you have homemade salsa, that’s delicious, too!
- CHEESE: You can also use your favorite kind of shredded cheese! Mexican blend is a great option for this recipe.
- TOPPINGS: You can use all of your favorite taco toppings to finish your taco pie. My favorites are lettuce, black olives, pico, tomatoes, guacamole or avocado, and sour cream.
- The success of this dish comes in having the perfect layers! Take care to make sure that they are evenly spread out, and that the layers don’t get too thick. You don’t want it to fall apart when you cut and serve your pie!
How to Prepare Taco Pie Ahead of Time
If you want to make this ahead of time or have a ‘take and bake’ option for a gathering, you can wrap the pie in the pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate it for up to 24 hours.
Remove and bake when needed. Remember that you’ll be cooking it from cold, so it may need to cook a bit longer. Keep an eye on it when it’s close to done.
How to Store & Reheat Leftover Taco Pie
Once cooked, allow to cool completely. It will stay good in the refrigerator for 3 days. This recipe also freezes well for up to 3 months.
When you want to enjoy it, just be sure to remove it from the freezer to allow it to thaw and then bake as normal.
Other Easy Taco Recipes
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- 1 Green Bell Pepper diced
- ½ Red Onion diced
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 3 teaspoon Taco Seasoning
- 1 cup Salsa
- 5 Large Flour Tortillas
- 2-½ cups Cheddar Cheese grated
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large 12” Skillet over medium heat brown the ground meat, then drain.
- Add the diced onions and bell peppers and continue to cook until soft – about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add the taco seasoning and salsa and warm through. Turn off the heat.
- On a baking sheet, place 2 tortillas on top of each other then add ½ the meat mixture and spread all over evenly.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of the cheese all over the top of the meat mixture.
- Start again with another layer and add another 2 tortillas on top of the cheese.
- Spread the remaining meat mixture over evenly.
- Sprinkle with another cup of cheese.
- Place the final tortilla on the top and sprinkle the remaining ½ cup of cheese over the top of the last tortilla.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove and allow to stand for 5 minutes. Serve warm with sour cream, guacamole, lettuce, tomatoes any of those traditional accompaniments.
- Use your preferred salsa for this recipe. If you like the heat then use a hotter salsa.
- Top your taco pie with your favorite taco dressings!
- If you want a ‘take and bake’, you can wrap the pie in the pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Remove and bake when needed. Remember you’ll be cooking it from cold so it’ll need longer to cook. Watch for ‘done-ness’.
Nutrition information is an estimate. Please utilize your own brand information to double check against our estimates.
Sign up for the Princess Pinky Girl Newsletter and automatically receive our latest & greatest delivered right to your inbox! Follow Princess Pinky Girl on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the newest recipes, crafts, travels and updates!
If you make a Princess Pinky Girl creation make sure you take a picture and share it on Instagram with @princesspinkygirl ! I love seeing your masterpieces!