Hi, it’s Brianne from Cupcakes & Kale Chips. My oldest just started Kindergarten a few weeks ago, and it is a whole new world for us. It’s a long day, with me sending him off on the bus at 9am and not picking him up from the bus stop until 4pm. And it’s not like they get naptime. Their schedule is packed from the time they arrive until the time they go home, with a little break in the day for recess and lunch. Now I know it isn’t like taking a fill course load of high school AP classes, but it’s a lot for a five year old to adjust to.
The other thing he is adjusting to is the lack of snacktimes. At preschool there was a mid-morning snack to hold the kids over until lunchtime. Even late last year when we went to full time care for several months there was both a mid-morning and mid-afternoon snack. And my kid, well, he was the one that, despite having a good, satisfying, and healthy breakfast and lunch, undoubtedly would be asking for seconds and sometimes even thirds of whatever the snack was for the day.
Now he sometimes wants a snack before he gets on the bus, as well as after school. He has some pretty long stretches – from his fruit and yogurt at 7am until lunch at noon, and then again to dinnertime at 5:30pm. So it’s not surprising this active kiddo needs something to hold him over. Which is why I love having mini muffins on hand. Enough to satisfy him, but not so much that it spoils his next meal.
And these Flourless Funky Monkey Oatmeal Mini Muffins are made with his favorite flavor combination – bananas, chocolate, and peanut butter. I love that they are made with oats and oat flour so they are naturally gluten free and packed whole grains, just a little maple syrup since most of the sweetness comes from the bananas, and peanut butter for satisfying protein. He loves the chocolate chips, but my secret is that with mini chips, you only need a little bit to pack lots of chocolaty punch.
Flourless Funky Monkey Oatmeal Mini Muffins
- 1/2 cup mashed banana (about one large banana)
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (honey should work too)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon oat flour (place old fashioned oats in a high powered blender or food processor and process into a fine powder before measuring, certified gluten free if necessary)
- 1/3 cup old fashioned oats (certified gluten free if necessary)
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray a mini muffin tin with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, beat together the banana, peanut butter, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Then beat in the egg.
- Add the salt, baking soda, baking powder, and oat flour and blend until just combined.
- Stir in the old fashioned oats and mini chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter between the 24 muffin cups.
- Bake at 350°F for 10-14 minutes or until golden brown and they spring back when you touch them.
- Cool in the pans for several minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Adapted from Chelsea's Messy Apron
If you like bananas, chocolate, and peanut butter as much as we do, here are some more funky monkey snacks…
Healthier Funky Monkey Chocolate Cupcakes
Sign up for the Princess Pinky Girl Newsletter and automatically receive our latest & greatest delivered right to your inbox! Follow Princess Pinky Girl on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the newest recipes, crafts, travels and updates!
If you make a Princess Pinky Girl creation make sure you take a picture and share it on Instagram with @princesspinkygirl ! I love seeing your masterpieces!