This Instant Pot Loaded Baked Potato Soup is so hearty, creamy, and comforting! The flavors of potato, cheddar, and bacon combine to make an incredibly tasty soup, made in only 7 minutes!
Table of Contents
Instant Pot Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Instant Pot Loaded Baked Potato Soup will definitely be my go to soup for fall and winter! Not only does this soup taste amazing, but it only has 7 minutes of cook time! It is so fast and so easy, which is my favorite type of soup!
Soups are such a quick and easy dinner, especially in the winter when you need something to warm your soul. Bonus though…. making it in the Instant Pot means that you can have your dinner ready in under 10 minutes! This is huge when you are running around from activity to activity and realize that you forgot to prep for dinner!
We love soup around here, but most soups taste best being simmered on the stove top for hours, which I definitely don’t have time for once school starts back up.
I love that the Instant Pot adds all the amazing flavor of a slow simmer, but in a fraction of the time. I first made potatoes in my Instant Pot when I was making a potato salad (you must try this incredible Instant Pot Bacon Cheddar Ranch Potato Salad!) and once I saw how good they turn out, I knew I had to experiment with more potato recipes!
What’s the difference between and Instant Pot, Pressure Cooker and Slow Cooker (aka Crock Pot)?
Basically, the Instant Pot and Pressure Cooker are essentially the same thing….they cook fast and with steam and pressure. The Slow Cooker or Crock Pot are the exact opposite…. you basically let them sit and cook all day long.
Don’t have an Instant Pot – you need to change that right away. Here is everything you need to know about an instant pot and why you can’t live without one! Instant pot soups are super easy, super fast and super delicious!
Did you know you could make pasta in the Instant Pot? We love this Instant Pot Spaghetti with Meat Sauce. It is a staple in our house!
The secret here is that you separate your chopped potatoes.
Some of the potatoes get cooked right in the chicken broth and then mashed into the soup, while the other potatoes sit in a steamer basket and then get added to the soup. The additional of the mashed potato adds incredible texture and creaminess!
Loaded Baked Potatoes are one of my favorite side dishes. Creamy potato, sharp cheddar, tangy sour cream, salty bacon and green onions are just one of those fantastic flavor combinations that I can never get enough of.
I love those flavors so much that I made them them into a dip! With fall temperatures right around the corner, it is time for some comforting meal ideas. While I love summertime grilling and salads, nothing beats a hot cup of soup!
How to Make Instant Pot Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Instant Pot Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 lb bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese plus more for garnish
- 5 green onions diced
- 1 white onion diced
- 1 tsp salt plus more to taste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp pepper plus more to taste
- Place one cup of the diced potatoes and the white onion in the bottom of your Instant Pot. Add the chicken broth.
- Place the steamer basket on top of the broth and add the rest of the potatoes. Season with half the salt pepper, and garlic powder.
- Put the lid on your Instant Pot and set the timer to 2 minutes. Let cook and then do a quick release.
- Remove steamer basket with the potatoes and set aside. Use a potato masher or a wooden spoon to mash the potatoes that cooked in the broth. Mash until smooth but still has some texture. Turn the Instant Pot to saute and add the sour cream, half and half, bacon, green onions, and cheddar cheese. Stir well. Let cook for 5 minutes on saute, stirring frequently so the cheese doesn’t stick.
- Taste for seasoning and add more if desired. Serve hot, garnished with additional bacon, green onions, and cheese.