These Apple Muffins with a crumb topping are not only delicious but will make your house smell amazing. The fresh apples, allspice, and cinnamon in these muffins are perfect for fall.
Good Morning! My name is Diane Roark. I blog over at Recipes for our Daily Bread and Our American Travels. Do you enjoy fall? It is my favorite time of the year. I have been thinking about why I enjoy fall so much. I think growing up in the deep South, Mobile, Alabama, where summer night temperatures are the same as the temperatures in the day has a lot to do with it. We had extremely long summers that went straight into winter. The deep South does not have much of a fall at all.
I live in Arkansas now, and it still gets hot, but we have been enjoying some cooler fall temperatures in the mornings. This past weekend, it was cool enough to sit outside on our porch for our morning coffee and breakfast. I cannot tell you how much I enjoy the cool crisp air and the gentle early morning breeze. My family and I sat, watched and listened to the birds flying by while enjoying our breakfast. We even got a quick glimpse of a beautiful hummingbird. Our Saturday and Sunday morning was peaceful and perfect.
Another wonderful thing about fall is the food. Fall is my favorite time of year as a food blogger. The seasonings normally used in fall baked goods like cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and pumpkin spice smell amazing. These muffins are full of fresh apples and delicious fall spices. The aroma coming from the oven that fills your kitchen is heavenly. Not only is the muffin full of fall flavors but the crumb topping is full of goodness too. The crumb topping gets crunchy when baked, and the muffins are super moist. They are full of apples and again perfect for this fall.
This recipe was adapted from The Apple Barn Cookbook’s Fresh Apple Pound Cake. It is from one of our favorite restaurant in the Gatlinburg, Tennessee area. The Apple Barn uses fresh apples from their orchard. They make delicious apple everything including their apple fritters that are served before each meal.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1¼ cups pecans chopped
- 4 cups apples original recipe called for 2 cups, peeled and finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 Cup all purpose flour
- ½ cups oats
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup butter soften
- Preheat the oven 350 degrees.
- Sift the flour, soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and set aside.
- Beat together the oil, sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- Add egg mixture in the dry ingredients and stir until everything is combined.
- Stir in the chopped apples and pecans. I used a mini food processor to chop the apples.
- Use a regular size ice cream scoop and scoop into cupcake baking liners.
- For the Crumble: Mix together flour, oats, brown sugar, allspice, cinnamon and soften butter.
- Add tablespoon on top of the muffins before baking.
- Bake the apple muffins for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.
Nutrition information is an estimate. Please utilize your own brand information to double check against our estimates.
- Add unsifted flour, soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt to a bowl and then mix it well by hand with a whisk.
- Make a well in your dry ingredients before adding your wet ingredients and gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients
- Use a mini food processor or small kitchen chopper to chop up the apples and pecans.
- Always use an ice cream scoop to add the mix to the muffin or cupcake pans. Your cupcakes will be the same size and will bake evenly.
- For the Crumble: Use your hands to combine everything and then break it up with a fork.
- If you are in a hurry in the mornings, prepare the batter the night before and refrigerate it. Always, add the topping right before baking. I tried it this time, and it worked great.
Sign up for the Princess Pinky Girl Newsletter and automatically receive our latest & greatest delivered right to your inbox! Follow Princess Pinky Girl on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the newest recipes, crafts, travels and updates!
If you make a Princess Pinky Girl creation make sure you take a picture and share it on Instagram with @princesspinkygirl ! I love seeing your masterpieces!