- 1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (or vanilla bean paste - see below)
- Pinch salt
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream (chilled)
Place a large mixing bowl, and a loaf pan in the freezer 30 minutes prior to making this recipe.
In a separate medium bowl combine sweetened condensed milk, vanilla extract, and pinch of salt. Set aside.
Remove the large bowl from the freezer and add the chilled heavy whipping cream. Use an electric hand mixer or standing mixer on high speed to beat together until stiff peaks form.
Once cup at a time, add whipped cream to the sweetened condensed milk mixture. Carefully fold together with a rubber spatula until no streaks remain.
Pour into loaf pan. Spread evenly with a rubber spatula. Cover with foil and place in the freezer.
After 2 hours of freezing add any additional mix in ingredients and swirl with a knife. Cover and return to the freezer for an additional 3 hours, or until set.
Remove ice cream 5 minutes prior to serving to allow it to soften slightly.
- You can also make this using a real vanilla bean pod. Just take 1 vanilla bean pod, opened up and vanilla bean paste scooped out with a small spoon, and decrease vanilla extract to just 1 tsp. Add at the same time you add vanilla extract in the recipe.
- For easier cleanup, line the loaf pan with parchment paper
- You can add a variety of mix-in combinations - see mix-in suggestions above in post!