- 2 breasts chicken (cut in half)
- 8 oz cream cheese (divided)
- 3/4 cup ranch dressing (divided)
- 1/2 cup hot sauce (divided )
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 8 flour tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 green onions (diced )
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Add the chicken, 4 oz of cream cheese, 1/2 cup ranch dressing, 1/4 cup hot sauce, chicken broth, salt, pepper, and garlic powder to your Instant Pot. Seal the pot and turn the vent to sealed. Hit the manual button and set timer to 15 minutes.
(If you don't have an Instant Pot, see modifications for slow cooker or stove top below)
While chicken cooks, add remaining cream cheese, hot sauce, and ranch dressing to a small sauce pan. Cook over low heat until cream cheese melts. Let simmer until chicken is done. Mixture should be thick, keep stirring to remove lumps.
When chicken is done, do a quick release. Remove chicken from the pan and shred. Stir the sauce that remains in the pot. Spoon two ladle fulls of the sauce into your sauce pan to thin out the cream cheese mixture. Let continue to cook over low heat.
Spoon two big spoonfuls of chicken into the center of a tortilla. Sprinkle cheddar cheese over the chicken. Roll tortilla tightly and place in a casserole dish. Repeat until you run out of chicken. Sprinkle remaining cheese into your sauce.
Stir sauce well and then pour over tortillas. Put casserole dish into the oven and bake 15 minutes, or until sauce thickens and is bubbling.
Remove from oven and sprinkle green onions over top.
Don't have an Instant Pot? No worries - see the modifications below:
How to prepare shredded chicken in a saucepan on the stovetop
- Add chicken to a sauce pan.
- Cover chicken completely with chicken broth. Add 1 tsp salt. Bring pot to a boil over medium high heat.
- Once boiling occurs, reduce heat to low and cover and let chicken simmer for 10-14 minutes, or until no pink remains in the center.
- Remove chicken from the liquid and shred.
- Discard of chicken broth left in the pan.
- Add chicken back to the pot and turn heat to low. Add cream cheese, ranch dressing, hot sauce, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Let cook 5-6 minutes, or until cream cheese is melted.
- Stir well to equally distribute ingredients.
- Follow instructions in recipe card.
How to prepare shredded chicken in a slow cooker:
- Add chicken, cream cheese, ranch dressing, hot sauce, salt, pepper, and garlic powder to your slow cooker.
- Cook on low heat for 6-8 hours or high heat 3-4 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred. Add additional hot sauce if a spicier flavor is desired.
- Follow instructions on recipe card.