MEAT SAUCE INGREDIENTS:
- 10 lasagna noodles (cooked per package directions)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- ½ tbsp Italian seasonings
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- ½ yellow onion (finely diced)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 24-oz jar marinara sauce
RICOTTA FILLING INGREDIENTS:
- 15 oz ricotta
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- ⅓ cup parmesan cheese (shredded)
- 1 ½ cups mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 1 tbsp dried parsley flakes
- Fresh parsley (finely chopped)
In a large pot cook noodles according to package directions. Once the noodles are soft and cooked, drain hot water. With noodles still in the pot, add cold water to the noodles to stop the cooking process and to keep noodles from sticking together.
In a large deep sided skillet cook ground beef until no longer pink. Drain grease and return beef to skillet. Add onion, Italian seasonings, garlic salt, minced garlic, salt, and ground black pepper.
Stir and let cook for 5-7 minutes, or until onions are soft and tender.
Add marinara sauce to the meat mixture and stir well. Bring the sauce to a simmer. Cover with a lid and let simmer for 5 minutes then remove from the heat.
In a separate large mixing bowl combine ricotta cheese, egg, Parmesan cheese, ¾ of the mozzarella cheese, and dried parsley flakes. Stir to combine.
On a large baking sheet lay out 5 lasagna noodles. Spread ¼ cup of ricotta filling on the lasagna noodle. Use a rubber spatula to spread mixture the entire length of the noodle. Add 3 tbsp meat sauce to each lasagna noodle on top of the ricotta mixture. Use a rubber spatula to spread the meat sauce the entire length of the noodle.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray. Add ½ cup of meat sauce on the bottom of the baking dish and use the rubber spatula to spread evenly across the bottom of the dish.
Gently roll each lasagna noodle from one end to the other, and place in the baking dish. Repeat the process with the remaining 5 noodles and place them in the baking dish.
Top the rolled lasagna noodles with the remaining meat sauce. Add remaining mozzarella cheese to the top of each lasagna roll.
Cover with tin foil and place in the oven. Cook at 375 degrees for 40 minutes. Remove tin foil and broil for 2-3 minutes, or until cheese is lightly browned.
- The box of lasagna noodles typically comes with more than 10 in a box. You may want to make 2 or so additional noodles in case any noodles break or tear while cooking or rolling.
- If you have a larger baking dish you could make 12 total roll ups. You would just need to stretch out the ricotta and meat sauce a bit.