- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 ½ cups warm water (105 degrees F)
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup flour (for cutting board)
In a small mixing bowl add warm water and active dry yeast. Let sit for 10-15 minutes.
In a large mixing bowl add 3 cups flour, salt, and parmesan cheese
Pour in yeast/water mixture and mix with a large spoon.
Cover tightly with plastic wrap and let sit out at room temperature for 18-24 hours.
When ready to bake the bread preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Place a 3-quart dutch oven (cast iron) with the lid on in the oven and bring it up to 450 degrees.
On a large cutting board sprinkle about ¼ cup flour.
Place the dough on the cutting board and flip over to coat with flour and shape into a ball.
Place dough in the preheated HOT dutch oven and cover with the lid.
Place the dutch oven back in the oven and cook for 30 minutes.
Remove the lid and continue to cook for another 15 minutes, or until the top of the bread is golden and crusty.
Remove bread from hot dutch oven and let cool.
Slice and serve.
- The dough will be sticky, unlike regular kneaded dough.
- Preheating the dutch oven ensures that the bread will not stick to the bottom or sides of the dutch oven.
- This recipe calls for a smaller dutch oven, a 3 quart. It can also be made in a regular-sized dutch oven as well. It will spread out more and be flatter, vs taller in the smaller one