- 3 Cups Flour
- 1 Cup Unsalted Butter (Room Temperature)
- 2 Eggs (Room Temperature)
- 4- oz Cream Cheese (Softened)
- 1 ½ Cups Sugar
- 2 Tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tsp Fine Sea Salt
- 1 ½ Tsp Baking Powder
- ¾ Tsp Almond Extract
- 3 Tbsp Butter (Melted)
- 1 ½ Tbsp Cinnamon
- ¼ Cup Granulated Sugar
- ¼ Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- ½ Tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2-3 Tbsp Whole Milk
- 1 Tbsp Butter (Melted)
- ¼ Tsp Almond Extract (Optional)
MAKING THE DOUGH:
In a medium mixing bowl: combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk together and set aside
Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment: Add the butter and beat on medium until soft and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the cream cheese and continue to beat together until creamy and no lumps remain, about 2 minutes.
Add the sugar and continue beating for another 1-2 minutes, or until fluffy.
After stopping mixer and scraping down sides with a rubber spatula. Turn mixer on medium speed and add the eggs, pure vanilla extract, and almond extract.
Allow to mix until fluffy, about 2 minutes
Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixer while on low speed and allow the mixture to slowly incorporate. Scrape the sides down with a rubber spatula as needed. Do not over mix
Divide the dough into 2 equal amounts, placing each in a piece of plastic wrap. Wrap plastic wrap around dough and refrigerate for 1-2 hours before rolling dough
After the dough has chilled in the refrigerator roll one part out on a silicone baking mat to roughly 8x9 inches (rolled dough should be about ¼ inches thick)
HELPFUL TIP: Flipping the dough over while rolling will prevent the dough from sticking to your silicone mat
Combine all ingredients for the Cinnamon Filling in a mixing bowl and stir together.
Evenly spread ½ of the cinnamon mixture over the rolled out dough.
Tightly roll the dough into a 9 inch log.
The center of the cookie is the start of the rolling process so go slowly and evenly.
Repeat steps 10 & 11 with the remaining dough and cinnamon filling mixture and place both logs in the refrigerator for 2 hours
CUTTING & BAKING:
Preheat the oven to 350°
Remove your Cinnamon Roll Cookie Logs and place them on a large cutting board.
With a serrated knife (working quick to ensure the logs are still chilled when you cut them), cut each cookie to a thickness of about ½ inch slices.
HELPFUL TIP: These cookies need to be placed in the oven while still cold.
Place each cookie on a silicone baking mat and place in the oven 2 inches apart from each other or about 12 on a sheet.
Bake for 8-11 minutes (depending on your oven temperature).
Remove from the oven right as they start to brown on the edges. Do not overcook these cookies. They are best when they are taken out of the oven when they are still light and golden. They may appear to be undercooked but will continue cooking inside after removing from the oven.
Leave on the baking mat for 5 minutes before removing to a cooling rack.
Whisk all Icing ingredients together in a bowl. If mixture is too thick add additional milk 1 Tsp at a time until desired consistency is reached.
Drizzle the icing over the cookies and serve warm
- Make sure that you’ve chilled the dough properly! This ensures that the cookies will hold their shape.
- Rolling out the cookie dough on a silicone mat is the best for cleanup and for making your life so much easier.
- When rolling the dough, make sure to flip it and add a bit of flour each time.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon filling on the entirety of the dough and use a bit of pressure to spread it out, rather than putting the filling in the center of the dough and spreading from there.
- Let the dough warm up a bit before rolling it, that way it won’t crack!
- When chilling the dough, you can put it in a cutout paper towel roll to help it keep the shape.
- When cutting your cookies, try to keep them to a small ½” size. Anything larger won’t keep the cinnamon roll shape too well.
- Make sure the cookies are still chilled when you place them in the oven.