- 1 pound Macaroni
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 8 ounces Sharp Cheddar Cheese grated
- 8 ounces Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese grated
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
Add macaroni, water, and salt to a large skillet. Place over high heat and bring to a boil for about 5 minutes or until the water has cooked down. Stir consistently.
Add evaporated milk and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add cheese. Stir until the cheese has melted completely.
Pour into a greased baking dish.
In a small bowl, mix topping ingredients until well combined. Generously sprinkle over macaroni.
Place dish under a low broiler for 5 minutes or until golden brown and serve immediately.
Pro Tips for Making Homemade Mac and Cheese
- Block cheese! Don't buy the packaged shredded cheese. Take a few extra minutes and take a block of cheese and shred it. I promise it will be worth the time investment!
- Can you skip baking the mac and cheese? Well, then it isn't really baked mac and cheese, but yes, you can. If you don't have time to throw it in the oven, I would skip the toppings. It is still super yummy and won't affect the overall taste, but take the extra five minutes and put the panko toppings on and throw it under the broiler - you will thank me!
- Add in's - Try these amazing add in's and throw them into your mac and cheese to up the make and cheese game: Crab, lobster, parmesan cheese, bacon, chicken, broccoli.
- Try different combinations of shredded cheeses - some others that we really love are Monterey jack cheese, pepper jack cheese, mozzarella cheese, and gouda cheese.