- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup unsalted butter cut into pieces
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 76 caramels (about 2 11-ounce pacakages)
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream (or more possibly)
- 1 tablespoon sea salt flakes
Preheat over to 350 degrees. Spray the bottom of a 9x9 inch pan with cooking spray then line with parchment paper. Spray the parchment paper with cooking spray. If you don’t have parchment paper, you can use foil that is sprayed with cooking spray. You want it well coated as caramels are very sticky.
In a large heavy saucepan place the chocolate chips and butter and melt over low heat, stirring constantly until smooth. Remove from heat.
Stir in the flour, sugar, baking soda, vanilla and lastly the eggs (you don’t want to scramble your eggs by putting them first into the hot chocolate and butter mixture).
Spread the batter into your prepared pan and top with caramels, really as many or as little as your want, but we prepared it with 8 across by 8 down (64 caramels). Press the caramels lightly down into the brownie batter.
Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until a cake tester inserted comes out clean. Insert the tester in the brownie part and not the caramel part.
Remove from oven and drizzle with caramel sauce and sprinkle with sea salt.
CARAMEL DRIZZLE SAUCE
Place the remaining caramels in a small saucepan (I had about 12). If you want more caramel sauce, use less on the top of the brownies or buy another bag of caramels!
Add about 1 tablespoon of cream per 10-12 caramels. Melt over low heat stirring constantly until smooth. Drizzle over the brownies! TIP: Beware it is hot and sticky and once it cools it is hard to get out of the pan
- Have the kids help open all of those caramels!!
- As soon as you are through with your caramel sauce pour it into a small glass mason jar to keep any extra and wipe out that pan carefully. Otherwise it the caramel will harden and you will have to reheat to do clean up.
- You can then easily microwave any leftover caramel sauce in 30-second increments.