These Copycat Crunchwrap Supremes taste just like the Taco Bell originals and they are ready in less than 30 minutes from the comfort of home!
Our homemade Crunchwraps are bursting with flavorful ground beef, gooey cheese sauce, crunchy lettuce, and tomato, all wrapped neatly inside a perfectly browned tortilla shell.
Table of Contents
Homemade Crunchwrap Supreme
My husband and boys love Taco Bell. Specifically, they love their Crunchwrap Supreme. I will admit, they are tasty, but I always worry about them not being the most nutritious choice. So, I tend to say no whenever they beg to get them.
When I finally made them to this homemade version, they loved them. In fact, they thought they were even better than the originals! So, save yourself a trip through the drive-thru next time, with these homemade Crunchwrap Supremes.
This copycat version is seriously so good. What makes these even better than the original menu item, for me, is the use of my own ingredients. The ingredients you use at home are much fresher and can be way healthier!
Why We Love This Recipe
- Quick and easy to make
- Kid-friendly and approved
- A quick weeknight dinner
- Better than takeout Taco Bell Crunchwrap
- Healthier, homemade version
- Easy ingredients list with lots of substitutions available
- No need to turn on the oven to cook these
- Ready in 30 minutes or less
- Customize to taste
- Ground beef
- Spices & seasonings
- Tortilla shells
- Cheese sauce
- Tostada shells
- Sour Cream
- Diced tomatoes
- Salted butter
SEE FULL PRINTABLE RECIPE CARD BELOW
How to Make Copycat Crunchwrap Supreme at Home!
Once you see just how easy it is to assemble your homemade Crunchwraps, you’ll never want to buy them again. This recipe comes together so quickly and easily! You’ll be enjoying your very own Crunchwrap Supreme in less than 30 minutes time.
Brown the ground beef and season it with seasonings.
Lay the soft tortillas out and spread the cheese sauce in the middle of each.
Add ground beef to the center.
Top with a tostada shell.
Pro-Tip:Most tostadas are going to be slightly too big for the tortilla to wrap around it completely. You will likely have a little hole, which is fine. However, if this is going to bother you, snap off the edges of the tostada to make a smaller circle. If you have a typical tostada shell, you will probably need to take off ½ an inch from the sides, which decreases the diameter of the entire tostada by 1 inch. Another option is to lay an additional piece of tortilla over the lettuce and tomatoes and fold the tortilla over just like you normally would.
Add sour cream, lettuce, tomato, and hot sauce in that order.
Fold all sides of the tortilla inward towards the center, then fold the remaining lip in until all ingredients are enclosed.
Pro-tip: To make it easier to fold the soft tortillas after you’ve assembled your Crunchwrap, you can place the tortilla in the microwave for 10-15 seconds before you begin!
Melt salted butter in the skillet and brown each side of the Crunchwrap.
Variations / Options / Add-ins
- GROUND BEEF: Feel free to switch this out for ground or shredded chicken, sausage, pork, or make it vegetarian with beans.
- CHILI POWDER: The addition of chili powder is completely optional. If you like things spicier, add the chili powder. If not, it tastes amazing without it.
- BURRITO SIZE TORTILLA SHELLS: When it comes to the tortilla shells to use for your Crunchwrap, the bigger the better! Look for the largest tortilla available at your grocery store.
- CHEESE SAUCE: Choose your favorite type of cheese sauce. I prefer using salsa con queso (salsa with cheese) for additional flavor, but any cheese sauce will work. You can also just shred your choice of cheese and use that instead.
- SOUR CREAM: If you prefer, you can replace the sour cream with plain Greek yogurt as a healthier option or skip it all together.
- HOT SAUCE: You don’t need to include hot sauce if you don’t want to. Or you can use a salsa or guacamole instead.
- SALTED BUTTER: This can be unsalted butter or cooking oil as well.
Frequently Asked Questions
These should only be prepared and assembled just before they are going to be eaten, otherwise, the cheese will soften the tostada and you won’t get the crunch. They are best when eaten fresh.
If you cook them and don’t eat them straight away, you can put them in the refrigerator, but I wouldn’t leave them for more than a day. However, you can store the ingredients separately in the refrigerator for about two days if you want to assemble the crunch wrap at a later time.
To fold your Crunchwrap perfectly every time you want to begin at the bottom of the tortilla. Fold the edge of the tortilla up and over the ingredients in the center. Work your way all the way around, making sure to cover up the filling completely. If you have any openings, you can cut a piece off another tortilla and use it to cover that spot.
When browning the Crunchwrap, have your skillet on medium heat. It’s easiest to do one at a time.
Melt about ½ Tablespoon of butter in the skillet before each Crunchwrap.
It doesn’t matter which side you brown first, but if you start with the side that is folded in, it will help keep it closed. You will need to brown each side for about 1 minute once the skillet is heated up.
Be careful because the hotter the skillet gets, the faster the tortilla will brown and maybe burn. Brown one side in the butter for 1 minute, then flip and brown the other side for 1 minute.
Other Easy Copycat Recipes
Crunchwrap Supremes (copycat recipe)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tsp chili powder (optional)
- 1½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ tsp onion powder
- 5 Burrito sized tortillas 10 inch
- ½ jar cheese sauce 15 ounce
- 5 Tostada shells small
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 1½ cups lettuce shredded
- 2 tomatoes diced
- 1 tbsp hot sauce optional
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- Brown ground beef in a large skillet over medium high heat until there is no pink left in the middle, about 5-7 minutes.
- Season with chili powder (optional), garlic powder, cumin, salt, and onion powder.
- Lay tortillas out to prepare for assembly. To make it easier to fold the tortilla, place the tortilla in the microwave for 10-15 seconds.
- Spread 3-4 Tablespoons of cheese sauce in the middle of each tortilla (feel free to add more if you like it extra cheesy).
- Add about ½ cup of ground beef onto the center of the tortilla and cheese spread. Top with tostada shell.
- Add a layer of sour cream, lettuce, tomatoes, and hot sauce (optional) in that order over the top of the tostada shell.
- Fold all sides of the tortilla inward towards the center and then fold the remaining tortilla lip in until all of the ingredients are enclosed inside of the tortilla.
- In batches, melt salted butter in a skillet over medium high heat and then brown each side of crunch wrap. *see notes in blog post on browning
- Plate and serve warm.
- Most tostadas are going to be slightly too big for the tortilla to wrap around it completely. You will likely have a little hole, which is fine. However, if this is going to bother you, snap off the edges of the tostada to make a smaller circle. If you have a typical tostada shell, you will probably need to take off ½ an inch from the sides, which decreases the diameter of the entire tostada by 1 inch.
- Another option is to lay an additional piece of tortilla over the lettuce and tomatoes and fold the tortilla over just like you normally would.
I’ve made something like these and I use the street tacos on the last layer so everything is covered with no hole then fold the tortilla shell around. These are so good 😊
These got rave reviews from all my picky eaters. Delicious! Even my husband complimented the change up from regular tacos. My local store does not have tostada shells, so I used bite size Tostito chips (the flat, round ones). I used four of the small chips on each and just scooped them in the sour cream before arranging them on top of the meat and then piled on the lettuce and tomato toppings. I followed another reviewer’s suggestion to top the final layer with a soft street taco so there is no gap in the tortilla. That worked very well. Great recipe. Will be making this again for sure.
I will love to try it
I love all your recipes
Thank you so much!
I love all your recipes they are quick and easy too make for breakfast , lunch , dinner and they are delicious . Thank’s so much !!!!
this was super easy to make and a huge hit with my family! The only change I made was using our airfryer to crisp them up, instead of skillet. They came out nice and crisp and less soggy that way. I will be adding this to my.dinner rotation. Thank you!